This position will be located at:
Casual Job Part-time
Hours per week:
Number of Openings:
Non Union Employees
Jul 9, 2019, 4:00:00 AM
Close Date (Period for Applying) - External:
The West Regional Base Hospital, the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research serves the communities of Brant, Dufferin, Guelph-Wellington, Haldimand, Hamilton, Niagara, Norfolk, Six Nations, and the Region of Waterloo. The Centre for Paramedic Education and Research provides medical oversight, certification, continuous quality improvement and education to over 1,000 Paramedics. In addition, the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research works towards advancing research in the field of prehospital emergency care. This program is managed within the Acute Medicine, Emergency and Prehospital Service of Hamilton Health Sciences with offices based in Stoney Creek.
The Paramedic Practice Auditor/Instructor will be responsible to perform audits on Paramedic documentation to ensure compliance to provincial standards and medical directives. The Paramedic Practice Auditor/Instructor will work with the Quality Specialist to flag deviations from these standards and follow up with regional Paramedics. The Paramedic Practice Auditor/Instructor will complete audits with the in house electronic audit tool to determine commissions and omissions in care provided. Additionally the Paramedic Practice Auditor/Instructor will work with Paramedic Educators to deliver educational programs to regional Paramedics including certification courses, continuing medical education programs, perform remedial training and perform return to clinical practice sessions. The Paramedic Practice Auditor/Instructor will perform the integral function of linking quality and education within the Base Hospital program.
Schedule Work Hours
1. Graduate of an Advanced Care Paramedic Program or Primary Care Paramedic Program recognized by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
2. Eligible to be employed as an Advanced Care Paramedic or Primary Care Paramedic as described in Part III of O. Reg. 257/00 of the Ambulance Act.
3. Recent paramedic experience considered an asset.
4. Strong knowledge of Ontario’s Ambulance Act, Associated Regulations and Standards, including: Basic Life Support Standards, Advanced Life Support Standards and Documentation Standards.
5. Demonstrated proficient computer skills and familiarity with data entry and data base programming.
6. Demonstrated ability to review manual or electronic patient records/documentation of patient care encounters and summarize findings.
7. Experience in adult teaching principles, preferably in the pre-hospital care setting.
8. Excellent communications skills to prepare written reports, deliver verbal feedback and deliver training courses.
Hamilton Health fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct. Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All Internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 1-877-667-2700 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during the interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process. If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note: the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Proficiency in both Official Languages, French and English, is considered an asset.
If this position is temporary, selection for this position will be as per the outlined Collective Agreements:
- Article 30 (k) – CUPE Collective Agreement
- Article 10.7 (d) – ONA Collective Agreement
- Article 13.01 (b) (ii) – OPSEU 273 Collective Agreement
- Article 14.04 – OPSEU 209 Collective Agreement
- Article 2.07 and Article 13 – PIPSC RT Collective Agreement