Pawsitively Pets is now recruiting for a PART-TIME - Outreach Animal Education Specialist
* *This is a permanent year round position!
Pawsitively Pets is a one-of-a-kind hands-on animal education program that provides children with the opportunity to interact hands-on with a variety of different animals in an engaging, educational environment. Our staff are animal experts and share their love and knowledge through our unique programs. Our organization is growing and is offering meaningful opportunities for individuals with strong presentation and teaching skills, and a background working with children.
We are looking for engaging Educators to join our team to provide our curriculum based education programs to private, public schools, daycare centres, corporate events, pet therapy, meet & greets, stage shows and special events.
- Are you available to work weekends?
- Have a valid drivers license and a reliable car?
- Are you passionate about teaching young children and helping them to explore the world of animals?
- A believer that education is an important tool to effect positive change?
- Looking for a part-time (we are happy to work around other part-time job schedules, school schedules etc,) work educating people on animals, science and nature?
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively and present to large groups?
- Creatively minded, an innovative problem-solver with the ability to adapt to ever-changing situations?
We are looking for creative, outgoing, friendly and enthusiastic team players to join our team. This is a great position for an energetic and dynamic individual who loves the world of animals and wants to share that experience with children in a hands-on interactive format. We are looking for team members who like to think outside the box and be creative, helping to develop and deliver programs for children ranging in age from 2 year to 14 years old, adults and seniors.
This position is a permanent position part-time position, with the opportunity for full-time hours during the summer. This is a year-round position, and requires a long-term commitment.
We welcome resumes from enthusiastic, motivated team players who wish to work for a cause they believe in -- a cause that is committed to educating the public about animals and responsible pet ownership. Our role is somewhat flexible if you are looking for a part-time position and we are happy to work around other work schedules, and supplying teaching positions or school schedules.
The role at Pawsitively Pets is unique in that we are looking for an individual who has a love of animals and would be comfortable working with a variety of pocket pets, reptiles and birds. (Training will be provided to ensure you are well educated on the education facts we share during animal presentations and can safely handle all animals.)
- Present and deliver interactive animal presentations in classroom, pet therapy, party and event environments
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Assist in the preparation of program components
- Must LOVE animals & children
- Deliver a variety of hands-on animals, science and nature programs (k-12), pet therapy programs and educational events
- Assist in the preparation of learning materials and lessons throughout the program
- Adapt programs to suit a variety of age groups
- Deliver programs to the highest teaching standards
- Use your creativity and skill-set to devise ways of increasing group engagement
Must Have's: If you are applying for this position you must have:
- A love for animals and children-strong communication and presentation skills
- Feel confident presenting to a group
- Hold a valid driver’s license and have access to a car. (Some of our programs are at our location, others are off-site, you will need a car at work every day.)
- Have completed or working towards completing a degree in a child or animal related field
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- High energy and strong leadership skills with the ability to work independently
- Critical thinking skills, stress tolerance, flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to take initiative
- Excellent customer service skills to liaison and communicate with parents and customers effectively
- Strong command of the English language, written and spoken. French is not required but is an asset.
- Graduated or working towards a degree in a child related post-secondary degree or diploma program
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Availability to work weekends - Saturday & Sunday
- Valid First Aid/CPR certificate – or obtain one within 60 days of employment
- Background Check: All applicants must submit to a vulnerable sector background check and successfully complete and provide at least two contactable references
You will be expected to:
- Learn all aspects of our hands-on animal programming topics.
- Available to work weekends
- Participate in all aspects of animal care duties when scheduled, this includes cage cleaning, feeding and general health checks on all our animals.
- Work with children, develop and provide engaging programming
- Present to large groups in a confident manner
- Commitment to the position - this position requires that we invest a lot of training into our staff, we are looking for team members who are looking for a long-term job
You can expect:
- To join a fun, growing team who loves animals
- Competitive hourly pay rate, car allowance
Position is at our central Toronto location - Eglinton/Bayview area, this must be easily accessible for you. All candidates that are applying must have a valid driver’s license and a car.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $16.00 to $17.00 /hour
- working with children: 2 years (Preferred)