Cree Language Revitalization Consultant
MLTC Education is seeking a highly motivated dynamic individual to join as Cree Language Revitalization Consultant. The Cree Language Revitalization Consultant will report directly to the Assistant Superintendent of Education and will work with our nine (9) member First Nations in the First Language foci. This individual will coordinate different activities in each community dependent on their level of language loss and assist these communities in determining where they are in the language loss-revitalization continuum. Create and support language specific resource development in alignment with land, language, relationship & culture (LLRC) initiatives and Early Years initiatives.
DUTIES include, but are not limited to:
- Attend regular internal meetings with Consultants based on the involvement in regards to the specific initiatives.
- Responsible for the implementation of school-based needs and providing long-range second-level service & delivery – modeling, co-planning, co-teaching, co-assessment.
- Responsible for timely feedback/reporting of project outcomes and successes to the Assistant Superintendent of Education.
- Monitoring and follow-up on project timelines.
- Regular communication with designated school-based administrators and consultants.
- Facilitation of PD presentation (provide rationale for contract requests/fee for service for PD, school-based needs and external consultants, content development, resource material preparation)
- Support for all event planning details and collaboration with team members
Budgets & Reports
- Collaborate as a team to provide estimates for ordering of resources and PD delivery
- Responsible for submission of monthly reports and data to Coordinators
Specific Roles & Responsibilities
- Coach, model and demonstrate
- Demonstrating in classrooms with language instructors/classroom teachers to demonstrate recommended second language teaching methods (ASLA, TPR, etc) and assisting with implementation.
- Support technological and innovative methods in language revitalization.
- Assisting language instructors with development and implementation of Cree and Dene courses.
- Working with communities to assist with developing a larger community based approach to language revitalization.
- Promoting First Nations language integration in all classrooms and all subjects.
- Ensuring regular communication with Meadow Lake First Nation school administration and staff.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of MLTC Office of Education programs and initiatives as requested by the Director of Education or designate.
- Assist with MLTC Office of Education initiatives and other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Education; a Master’s Degree or commitment to begin studies in a field appropriate to LLRC initiatives.
- Saskatchewan Professional A Teachers’ Certification or the ability to obtain such standing; and a minimum of five (5) years of teaching experience.
- Experience in working with First Nations’ Schools & Communities.
- Willing to travel to the First Nation Communities; work within a team setting and independently.
- Knowledge and/or willingness to obtain training to support MLTC’s initiatives including, but not limited to:
- Must be fluent in the Cree language(s) and have experience in working with First Nations’ Schools & Communities.
- Support land-based education in connection to language revitalization
- Awareness of cultural protocols of Cree and Dene First Nations
- Awareness of protocols working with Elders from different First Nations
- Ipad/Smart Suite
- Microsoft Office
- Google Suite
Interested applicants are invited to submit: A letter of application; resume stating qualifications and employment history; copies of credentials; current RCMP Security Clearance/Vulnerable Sector Check; a copy of valid driver’s license; and a list of three (3) current professional supervisory references to:
Human Resources Department
8003 Flying Dust Reserve
MEADOW LAKE, SK S9X 1T8
Phone: (306) 236-5654 Fax: (306) 236-6301
For more information, please contact Celia Deschambeault, Assistant Superintendent of Education @ 306-236-5654 or visit the MLTC website at www.mltc.net.
Deadline for applications: November 15th, 2019.
MLTC sincerely appreciates and thanks all individuals for their applications,
however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time