Northern Vision Development (NVD) is a private real estate partnership, was established in 2004 with a mandate to operate in Whitehorse, Yukon. In 2013, NVD expanded outside of Whitehorse with investments in the Visitor Information Centre in Carcross, Yukon and in the Downtown Hotel in Dawson City, Yukon. Since then, it has expanded its presence in Dawson and has continued to grow its commercial and residential rental portfolio in Whitehorse. NVD is now one of the largest Commercial Leasing and Hospitality Operators in the Yukon comprised of over 45% First Nation ownership.
The Accounting & Project Assistant position reports directly to the Controller. This position is a key member of the accounting team. This position works closely with all departments across the organization to ensure the integrity and accuracy of the financial information for Northern Vision Development and associated business lines and the reporting on these areas. Specifically, pivotal in managing the day to day accounting activities of the NVD portfolio of hotels, Real Estate, Food and Beverage and other business lines.
- Assist with data entry and review of daily invoices and sales as required;
- Reconcile petty cash and fill in change requests from Food and Beverage outlets, banquets and hotels.
- Reconcile bank accounts, balance sheet accounts and vendor statements and investigate any discrepancies
- Monthly review of prepaid expenses and accrued liabilities.
- Responsible to bring any large or unusual items forward to Controller, CFO or other managers for clarification and authorization.
- Assist Hotel Accountant, Payroll, Accounts Receivable as requested – cross train to learn and assist when needed in period & month-end.
- Preparation of month end, quarterly and year-end documents for annual audit;
- Manage daily cash receipts and prepare deposits.
- Assist with special projects as required;
- Additional Administrative duties as required.
Education & Skills
- Post-secondary education in accounting preferred
- A focus in business accounting and auditing an asset
- Minimum of 1 year of accounting experience.
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Strong work ethic, respectful and trustworthy.
- Ability to prioritize workload and adjust to shifting priorities.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks, Microsoft suite of programs such as Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability to work independently as well as in a group environment.
- Excellent organizational skills.
NVD is proud to have a diverse and wide range of cultures and people. And while we don't always agree, we always respect each other. Did you know that men apply for jobs when they only have 60% of the qualifications, while women and other underrepresented groups are reluctant to reply to a posting unless they believe they have 100% of what is requested? They say everything you want is on the other side of fear and you have nothing to lose by reaching out to us and applying or asking questions. Let's have a chat and get to know each other to see if we are a match for your career.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $50,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Accounting: 1 year (preferred)
- Accounts payable
- Accounts receivable
- Preparing financial statements (e.g. balance sheet, P&L, statement of cash flows)
- Processing expense reports
- Reviewing and maintaining internal controls processes and systems
- Account reconciliation
- Invoice processing
- Running errands (bank deposits, etc.)
- Data entry
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place