The City of Quinte West is situated on the shores of the beautiful Bay of Quinte. We are located directly along the Highway 401 corridor approximately 1.5 hours east of Toronto and 2.5 hours west of Ottawa. Over 43,000 people make Quinte West home.
Quinte West’s natural setting, with its attractive scenic backdrop of rolling hills, rich farmland and clean waterways, creates a healthy environment for working, living, and raising a family. Safe, well-planned neighbourhoods and plenty of recreational activities make Quinte West the ideal place to visit or call “home”.
Public Works and Environmental Services
Purpose and Scope:
Reporting to the Road Supervisor, the Roads Labourer is responsible for providing manual labour in the completion of tasks assigned by the Road Supervisor on a day-to-day basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will carry out the following duties:
- Raking. (except for raking of asphalt.)
- Dusting and cleaning.
- Placing seed and sod.
- Operating non-power tools. (i.e. hand saw, bolt cutters, etc.)
- Traffic control/flag person.
- Debris, garbage, leaf, yard waste pick up, etc.
- Tree and brush trimming (with handsaw) and clearing brush, trees, etc.
- Erecting formwork.
- Placing asphalt.
- Installation of signs, guard rails, posts and cables, etc.
- Painting signs, guard rails, posts, curbs, etc.
- General yard maintenance.
- Changing of lights.
- Moving of equipment and furniture, etc.
- Picking up materials and supplies.
- Erecting banners, flags, seasonal decorations, etc.
- Adjusting frames and grates for catch basins.
- Adjusting frames for maintenance hole covers.
- Acting as wing person during winter control.
- Operating City vehicles and equipment as required.
- Carrying out general labouring assignments.
- Be aware of and follow the OHSA and other City policies.
- Being courteous to the public at all times.
Above duties are representative of a typical positions and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
The position will have direct contact with:
Manager of Outdoor Operations, Road Supervisor, City staff.
The position will require:
- Minimum Grade 12 Graduation Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Class G Driver’s Licence and a safe driving record.
- Ability to undertake manual labouring activities related to construction and maintenance of municipal urban, semi-urban and/or rural infrastructure matters.
- Effective communication skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- A minimum of one (1) year of related experience in a construction/maintenance field.
- The position has minimal responsibility for decision making affecting the department.
- Roads outside work a requirement.
- Evening, night and weekend hours may be required.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is used to determine eligibility for potential employment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Quinte West is pleased to accommodate individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process.