The AIDS Committee of Newfoundland and Labrador is currently recruiting a dynamic and enthusiastic individual with excellent communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure in a challenging environment for the Tommy Sexton Centre housing program. The Residential Counsellor will be responsible for offering one-on-one supportive services to an adult individual with complex mental health needs. Positions available:
- 1 temporary, permanent part-time position (4 months - January-April, 2020). This position is scheduled for 16 hours weekly (Wednesday and Friday evenings, 4:30 pm – 12:30 am), and has the opportunity to pick up other shifts as available effective immediately.
- Relief staff positions (must be available to work on-call days, evenings, and weekends)
Accountabilities/Duties include but are not limited to:
- Community inclusion activities, daily living and life skills support (non-respite).
- Crisis counselling and harm reduction interventions
- Ongoing communication with other counsellors/members of individual’s support team
- Completing and maintaining logs and records as required and ensuring confidentiality
This position reports directly to the individual’s Program Coordinator.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex adult behavioural issues
- Experience working with adult individuals in mental health, abuse, addictions and correctional fields is considered an asset
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of community resources
- Demonstrated knowledge of harm reduction principles
- Relevant university degree or college diploma (ex., Child and Youth Care, Sociology, Psychology); relevant experience will be considered in lieu of degree or diploma
- Standard First Aid required
- ASIST, Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, Mental Health First Aid considered an asset
- RNC Certificate of Conduct (including vulnerable sector check) required
Deadline for applications is 4:00 pm on Monday, December 9, 2019.
Job Types: Temporary, Casual
Salary: $18.00 /hour