Posting Number: 2021-19 Date: August 19, 2020
To: Members of ETFO-ESP and External Applicants
Anticipated Start Date: August 31, 2020
Position: 0.5 FTE Library Assistant
Job Description: Attached
Location: Mine Centre School
Hours of work: 15 hours per week
Rate of pay: $23.13 to 23.68 per hour
Applications will be prioritized in the following order:
1. ETFO-ESP members within the job classification
2. ETFO-ESP members outside the job classification
3. External applicants with the qualifications, skills and abilities for the position including casual staff
1. ETFO-ESP members within the job classification who express interest in the position must do so in writing
2. ETFO-ESP members outside the job classification must submit a cover letter, resume, and Reference
Authorization Form including two references (one of which must be from a current or recent supervisor)
3. Casual staff and external applicants must include a cover letter, resume, Non-Teaching Application Form and
Reference Authorization Form including two references (one of which must be from a current or recent
Please submit application documents, referencing the job posting number, to:
Human Resources Department
Rainy River District School Board
522 Second Street East
Fort Frances, ON P9A 1N4
Fax: (807) 274-1950
Accommodation in the recruitment process is available upon request for applicants with disabilities.
For further clarification or questions please contact
Barbe Dennis, Principal, Mine Centre School, 807-599-2843
Closing Date: Wednesday August 26, 2020 at 4:00PM
Rainy River District School Board
Fort Frances, Ontario
DATE: January 2018
POSITION: Library Assistant
EMPLOYEE GROUP: ESP (Educational Support Personnel)
$ A Secondary School diploma or equivalent
$ Post-secondary education preferred in Library Services
$ Computer skills preferred
$ Physical ability to perform the essential duties of the job
$ Effective oral and written communication skills
$ Must be able to function as a member of the team
$ Flexibility to suit varied needs of students (learning, physical, behavioural)
The Library Assistant is responsible for assisting in all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the school library in
order to promote the Rainy River District School Board school libraries as positive, welcoming environments where
students and their educational needs are the focus of active learning.
The Library Assistant is responsible to the Principal of the school.
1. Promote and foster the enjoyment of reading for pleasure and literacy through day-to-
day interactions with staff and students by:
a. Reading to or with students;
b. Working with students in small groups or individually to assist in the
development of literacy skills.
2. Promote and encourage the best learning environment for our students by:
a. Setting up displays;
b. Creating bulletin boards;
c. Coordinating the set-up of special events and book fairs in the library;
d. Promoting the library services and appropriate resources (Rainy River District
Library Cooperative, JSTOR, etc.) to all staff and students.
3. Circulation desk duties:
a. Checking in and checking out books and other library materials;
b. Renewing and reserving requested library materials;
c. Shelving books and other library materials;
d. Preparing overdue notices for homeroom teachers, students and staff.
4. Process new books and library materials:
a. Entry of books/materials into Acquisitions and Library File of L4U;
b. Stamp with School name;
c. Barcode and label books/materials.
5. Assist students and staff in locating and using materials in the library by answering
questions and/or gathering materials.
6. Maintain the library collection, which includes:
a. Shelving books;
b. Reading shelves;
c. Mending and repairing books or other library materials;
d. Ensuring library supplies (labels, tape, etc.) are available;
e. Weeding and withdrawing damaged or out-of-date materials:
i. Disposal of withdrawn materials, as per RRDSB policy and procedure
f. Maintaining a tidy and user-friendly library space that is welcoming and a
positive learning environment.
7. Maintain the school L4U system and support its use by students and staff:
a. Updates L4U system as needed and demonstrates L4U OPAC to staff and
8. Assist the RRDSB I.T. Department with deployment (to students and staff),
maintenance and retrieval of RRDSB technological devices (Chromebooks, etc.).
9. Supervise scheduling of the library, classroom visits and book exchanges:
a. Assist with the supervision of students in the library.
10. Order, with the Principal’s permission, new library materials and subscriptions, etc.
11. Year-end inventory (if directed by the Principal).
Conditions of Employment:
1. Rainy River District School Board Policies and Procedures.
2. Rainy River District ETFO Educational Support Personnel Collective Agreement