About Network Innovations
Network Innovations is a leading provider of Satellite & Communications services including VSAT networks, Mobile broadband, Push-to-Talk and Satphone solutions. NI serves clients across the globe in the Government, Media, Energy, Maritime, and Aero markets. With headquarters in Calgary, Canada, we have regional offices across North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific, and we work with over 200 partners operating globally.
This role is responsible for designing, developing, and testing web applications (front and back end) that are available 24/7 with thousands of active users and API sessions. Active participation in defining the services architecture and interfaces is expected, and you will have the opportunity to work with product management and customers to shape our products.
These web applications will aid our customers and service partners to easily use, deploy, and manage network services provided by NI.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, prototype, implement, test, and document full stack (front and back end) web applications, and RESTful APIs.
- Design for usability with responsive web user interfaces.
- Build quick prototypes / demonstrations to help validate technologies and to provide sales tools.
- Design for scalability and reliability (24/7 operations – minimal maintenance down time) with continuous integration.
- Work with other developers to help design and specify system requirements for IoT Edge Gateway and Sensor devices.
- Work with DevOps to deploy and maintain system components into QA and Production environments, and to create tools to quantify performance and reliability.
- Assist QA in developing automated tests
- Incorporate security into web services, APIs, and user interfaces.
- Work with Product Management (and Sales Engineers) to define the product requirements and ensure customer needs are being met.
- Estimate timelines and provide risk assessments for planning and tracking work. Provide feedback for continuous improvement of processes.
- Provide Tier-3 support to customers and work with Technical Support to improve their knowledge and tools for troubleshooting.
Required Experience & Skills
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent discipline
- 8+ years of full stack application development for always on web applications with global user base, large traffic volume, and multi-national operations
- Proficient in Java (JEE) technologies including Spring MVC, Struts, Hibernate, RESTful JSON/XML, WebSockets
- Familiar with SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL), and able to design/modify relational schemas, adapt Stored Procedures
- Comfortable in cross technology Enterprise Application environment – mostly Java (JEE) on Linux, but some C#/.NET
Nice to have
- 3+ years with micro services architecture in a continuous integration environment
- 3+ years in implementing Industrial IoT/M2M/SCADA systems (data collection, aggregation, and presentation).
- Implemented Single Sign On and OAUTH mechanisms
- Familiar with Docker, Cloud Infrastructure (AWS, Microsoft Azure), Serverless functions.
- Strong familiarity with a leading IoT platforms and accompanying ecosystem (Azure IoT, AWS IoT, Cumulocity, Thingworx)
- Familiar with IoT transport and network protocols (MQTT, TCP/IP, LoRaWAN, LTE-M) with accompanying security.
- Familiar with network management concepts: SNMP, Equipment and Link monitoring, Logical Network Mapping, Geolocation
- Customer focus
- Complex problem solving: Systems-level approach to software
- Creative, collaborative, and open-minded
- Strong communicator
- Passion and pride in your work
This is a full-time position in a professional office environment with flexible work hours. Occasional after-hours work will be necessary to provide tier-3 technical customer support or for a meeting with an overseas team member. Occasional travel is expected (including internationally) for projects or conferences.
Benefits package included
Disclaimer Statement: This job description lists the essential functions of the position and is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to a position. An employee may be required to perform other related duties not listed above provided that such duties are characteristic of that classification.
Job Type: Full-time
- Java (Spring MVC, Struts, Hibernate, RESTful JSON/XML): 5 years (Required)
- full stack application development (always on web apps): 8 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)