PURPOSE AND KEY FOCUS
We are looking to fill this role of 2 Labourers within our Public Works & Housing Division. The PWH Labourer is responsible for maintaining OKIB infrastructure including fencing, cattle guards, culverts, roads, grounds, signage, minor maintenance on OKIB buildings, and other tasks as needed.
In maintaining OKIB the above infrastructure, the Labourer operates a motor vehicle, and usually works in pairs and unsupervised as part of the OKIB maintenance team. Typically, the Labourer is given a list of work orders (tasks) each morning and discussion ensues with the office coordinator on the tasks and the priorities. The position requires self-motivation, strong work ethic, attention to detail, strong communication skills- listening and asking questions, and a desire to work outdoors.
Reports to the Office Coordinator.
However, direction may be provided by more senior maintenance team.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain public grounds to ensure the areas are safe and in adequate condition
- Operate vehicles including towing with a trailer.
- Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as mowers, weed-eaters, fence post pounder, etc.
- Set-up of tables, chairs, etc. for Band functions.
- Maintain and clear walkways, driveways, parking lots or other grounds features to ensure safety.
- Snow removal as required
- Remove all garbage and debris to designated garbage disposal sites.
- Use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, saws or axes
- Maintain tools and equipment
- Repair fences or gates using hand or power tools
- Care for lawns by aerating, weeding, trimming or edging flower beds, walks or walls
- Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders
- Practice workplace safety
- Keep first aid kits replenished on vehicles
- Main areas of responsibility to include but not limited to:
- OKIB Daycare
- OKIB Band Office
- OKIB Health Building
- Pathfinders/TSD Building
- Cultural Immersion School
- OKIB Fire Hall
- Bluebird Building (New Horizons)
- Head of the Lake Hall/Ball Field
- Komasket Park
- Pebble Park
- Head of the Lake Six Plex
- 6 Mile Six Plex
- Whiteman’s Six Plex
- Assisted Living Complex
- Assist with maintenance duties as required
- All persons employed by the Okanagan Indian Band may be required to assist the Band in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
- Participate in community events as requested
- Keep a daily log of tasks to be submitted on a weekly basis
- Follow a preventative maintenance management schedule
- Minor maintenance and repairs as required
- Perform manual labour tasks as directed.
- Maintain equipment, tools and vehicles and report any losses or damages
- Operate the computerized maintenance management system
- Complete and follow work orders
- Take and maintain inventories
- Supervise summer casual staff
- Attends meetings
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the OKIB policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as required
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Valid BC Driver’s licence, minimum of Class 7 and reliable vehicle
- Current First Aid/CPR certificate
- Ability to operate required equipment
- Small and large motor maintenance skills
- Experience working with First Nations communities
Competencies (KSAs & Desired Attributes)
- Follow directions and work independently as instructed
- Move or lift heavy objects
- Ability to work to manage time according to priorities
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and with changing priorities
- Capable of performing hard physical work outdoors in varying weather conditions
- Standing for extended periods of time with bending, kneeling and crouching
- Self-motivated and engaged
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
The Labourer has a physically strenuous and demanding job. He/she will be lifting, pulling and managing heavy equipment and objects.
The Labourer may work in busy construction sites with a variety of other trades, or may spend long hours working alone. The Labourer may work in awkward environments and will have to carry all required equipment and supplies with them at all times. The Labourer must work outside in all different weather conditions including extreme cold and extreme heat.
The Labourer may be exposed to unpleasant sights and smells. He/she may at times be exposed to dangerous and/or toxic substances and must take necessary precautions to protect eyes, nose and skin from irritation and infection.
The Labourer must complete assigned tasks in a timely manner. He/she must be able to effectively deal with the public in a courteous and respectful manner.
Deadline for Applications: December 3, 2019
Commensurate equivalent to experience
Preference may be given to those having knowledge of the Okanagan culture and traditions
Job Type: Full-time