Position: Restoration Field Technician
Opening Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2020
Closing Date: Sunday, August 16, 2020 by 8:00 am PST
Type: Temporary Full-time, Term-Employee (~35-40 hours per week)
Duration: September 8, 2020 to March 31, 2021
Compensation: Hourly Wage between $16.35- $20.44 per hour + indirect benefits & monthly cell allowance.
Complexity and Scope of the position:
Under the direction of the Restoration Crew Lead and Operations Manager, the Restoration Field Technician will work together with the team to accomplish the FVWC restoration projects.
· Maintaining FVWC’s code of conduct
· Provision of willow and cottonwood whips for FVWC plantings.
· Assistance with site preparation work including invasive plant control, seeding, and mulching
· Assistance with plant layout for volunteer plantings
· Planting trees and shrubs and installing beaver guards on sites during/after volunteer plantings
· Ongoing maintenance work including invasive plant control, beaver guard repair, and replacement of dead plants
· Take photos before and after documenting each site
· Ensuring proper use, care and storage of FVWC field equipment
· Assisting FVWC with water quality and fish monitoring
· Other tasks as assigned
· General outreach and community event attendance.
· Participate in community events to promote FVWC projects, environments sustainability and healthy watersheds
· Attend meeting and events on behalf of the FVWC
· Previous field work experience
· Previous landscaping experience
· Previous experience with gas powered tools
· Knowledge and identification of native flora and fauna
· An understanding of local watershed challenges in the eastern Fraser Valley
Skills & Abilities:
· Minor carpentry skills
· Ability to organize daily workload by priorities
· Must be able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced quickly changing environment
· Ability to work well under seasonal peak periods and in changing environmental situations
· Ability to work well within a team environment
· Grade 12
· Post secondary education in biology, geography or ecological restoration would be an asset
· Outside – this position is hands-on, involves physical exertion requiring the ability to lift 45lbs, squatting, bending, extended time walking and standing. May be exposed to a wide range of weather conditions including heat, cold, wind and/or rain.
· At times this position may require you to operate equipment such as gas-powered tools.
· This position requires that you wear protective attire such as work gloves, hats, safety vests and footwear to protect yourself.
· Successful competition of a Criminal record check
· Must have reliable transportation to and from worksites located in Hope, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Mission and Langley.
· Willing to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
· Interest in local conservation issues
· Maintain confidentiality as per organizational and legislative requirements
· Maintain, promote, and enhance the company’s Health and Safety practices, audits, and procedures (i.e. WHMIS, Health and Safety Policies).
· Every employee is responsible to ensure the safest and most efficient work environment for all employees. It is the responsibility of all employees to alert Supervisors and Managers of any safety hazards that requires immediate attention as you may observe or discover at any time.
How to Apply and Application Information:
· Please email a resume and cover letter clearly outlining how you meet the above requirements
· Please ensure you title the email “FVWC Restoration Field Technician Application” in the subject line.
· Hard-copy resumes will not be accepted: Email only please.
· Resumes will be accepted until 8:00 am PST Sunday August 16, 2020.
· Applicants who meet the criteria for an interview will be contacted by August 18, 2020
· Interviews will take place on August 20, 2020.
We thank all applicants who take the time to apply for this position.
Only applicants short-listed for the interview process will be contacted.
About the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition:
We are a charitable organization that believes healthy watersheds provide the foundation for healthy communities. Our Mission is to foster watershed stewardship in the Fraser Valley through Science, collaboration, community support, and active habitat/watershed/ecosystem restoration. Our purpose is to organize and participate in environmental projects designed to conserve, protect, and restore watersheds in the Fraser Valley; increase community understandings about Fraser Valley watersheds by providing seminars and training on watershed management; and undertake activities ancillary and incidental to the attainment of the aforementioned charitable purposes.
Application deadline: 2020-08-15
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $16.35-$20.44 per hour