The ED to Home program is seeking part-time general practitioner physicians to join 5 other GP physicians that provide services in the Emergency Room at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. The NRGH ED to Home initiative is focused on reducing avoidable admissions in clients aged 70+ from the Nanaimo region who present to the emergency room at NRGH. The initiative is targeting the priority populations including the frail elderly, chronic complex and end of life patients. The ED to Home GPs work with the ED team which includes a team lead, liaison nurse and social work to assess the patients and arrange/coordinate all of their needs in the community. The Community Rapid Response clinicians work closely with the ED team to facilitate rapid discharge from ED to Home.
Ed to Home physician services include:
- Diagnose and form a treatment plan for an acutely ill patient who would otherwise be admitted to the acute care setting.
- De-prescribe unnecessary and harmful medications.
- Discuss and ascertain goals of care of patients, applying a palliative approach where indicated.
- Access resources from community team, coordination with primary care physicians, and planning for discharge of medically complex patients.
- Manage risk and uncertainty and ensure adequate and safe handover with community practitioners.
- Assist in intensive medical management in the community for 48 to 72 hours post emergency room discharge.
- Provide and disseminate consult notes as required.
- Act as a medical liaison between the ED and primary care physician in the community.
- Co-lead interdisciplinary rounds with the ED/Community teams for thorough discharge planning.
- Participate in the evaluation of the efficiency, quality and delivery of the services, including participation in medical audits, peer and interdisciplinary reviews, chart reviews, and incident report reviews.
As soon as possible
Shared office space in Emergency room, telephone, fax, email provided by VIHA at no cost
Nanaimo, population 90,000, is a growing and vibrant urban centre situated on the east coast of Vancouver Island, located approximately 100 kilometers north of Victoria and offers excellent access via commercial flights, float plane or ferry to Vancouver. The community offers a wide variety of cultural and educational opportunities including the 800 seat waterfront Port Theatre, the Vancouver Island University and is adjacent renowned private schools.
Nanaimo is the outdoor enthusiasts’ paradise, providing year round access to a wide array of recreational activities including kayaking, kite boarding, windsurfing, mountain biking, hiking, running and golfing. Nearby Mount Washington frequently boasting the deepest snow pack in North America, has excellent downhill, snowboarding and cross country skiing.