EASi’s Engineering has 1 full-time contract opening for a Senior Civil / Structural Engineer. More specifically, we’re seeking qualified Civil / Structural Engineer with a background in Substation Structural design. This contract is for an upfront 12 months (until Oct. 30th 2020), with high probability of long term contract extensions.
Compensation is negotiable and will be competitive for a highly qualified candidate.
Location is in Burnaby, BC (transit accessible).
- A minimum of 8 years of demonstrated working experience in Civil/Structural design of a broad variety of electrical utility related structures and elements.
- A minimum of 3 years of recent experience in the design of substations structures.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with the Association of Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with CAD systems and Civil/Structural drawing standards.
- In depth technical knowledge and experience in civil/structural engineering design relevant to electrical utility power system at voltage up to 500kV.
Consider an asset for the role:
- Both Structural and Civil Design experience, but more emphasis on structural experience
- BC seismic building codes (BC is an earthquake zone)
- Experience in Substation Design
- Civil 3D experience is an asset
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design of Transmission Stations at voltage ranging from 12kV to 500kV.
- Structural design, analysis and detailing for Concrete, Steel, Masonry and Timber structures associated with Electrical Substations and Switching Stations such as:
- Control, feeder and compressor buildings
- Electrical equipment supports and foundations (Transformers, Circuit Breakers, etc.)
- Line termination structures and foundations
- Single pole mast structures and foundations
- Underground concrete manholes/vaults and cable duct banks
- Modification, repair and upgrade of existing substation structures
- Seismic analysis and design
- Civil design, analysis and detailing for switchyard site development such as:
- Station site preparation
- Station access road alignment and profiles
- Fill embankments and retaining walls
- Site drainage, culverts and ditches
- Oil spill catchment and containment systems
- Additional Education and Skills
- Ability to provide technical directions to junior engineers
- Ability to manage design tasks including scope, schedule and cost
- Ability to find engineering solutions that add value and to reach consensus
- Ability to communicate efficiently including verbal and technical writing in the English language, analytical, interpersonal communications and presentation skills
- Experience in project management including estimating, cost control, and project administration
- This role requires experience with the design of electrical utility substations with operating voltages from 12kV to 500kV and demonstrated experience working with utility design solutions a in an electric utility environment.
- This position is needed to help with an increasing work load in capital project, emergency replacement and restoration work, asset management strategic OMA work programs and Owners Engineer review work.
- Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with client’s project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
- Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates. * Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and client’s Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Substation Design: 3 years (Preferred)
- Structural Engineering: 8 years (Preferred)
- Professional Engineering in Canada (Required)
- Professional Engineering (EGBC) (Preferred)