Smart & Biggar has been at the forefront of IP and technology law for over 100 years. We practice in every area of IP on behalf of an exceptional international clientele, and we are consistently ranked as Canada’s leading IP firm. We are committed to hiring people with different backgrounds and experience, who represent the best talent in their field.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Litigation Clerk/Assistant to join our Litigation Team. In this role you will work on a dynamic team to provide operational support within our Litigation Team.
Qualifications, competences and experience:
- Preparing routine correspondence, revising court documents
- Filing all outgoing e-mails, correspondence and documents to an electronic file management system
- Maintaining bring forward system on behalf of busy lawyers
- Docket entry, review of monthly pre-bills, making necessary changes
- Completing expense reimbursement reports
- Arranging payment of third party invoices
- Coordinating administrative tasks, e.g. accounting (including responding to clients’ accrual & estimates requests), opening and closing files, docketing, billing
- Preparing, serving and filing court documents
- Photocopying, binding and scanning documents
- Performing any other duties as required
- Post-secondary education in the field of Legal Administration, Law Clerk, Paralegal
- 1+ years of relevant work experience preferably in a legal environment, previous experience in litigation and an understanding of the Ontario and Federal Courts will be considered an asset. Knowledge and work experience in the area of intellectual property law will also be considered an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including strong proofreading abilities
- Excellent attention to detail, highly organized and proactive
- Ability to handle client’s requests in a professional and courteous manner
- Ability to take initiative, exercise sound judgment, and use discretion when dealing with confidential information
- Capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to respond to quickly changing priorities
- Be capable of implementing and maintaining practice management systems on behalf of busy lawyers
- Proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel. Experience with 3-E billing would be an asset
- Ability to excel in a deadline-driven environment
Located in the heart of downtown, close to transit and amenities, Smart & Biggar offers a comprehensive total rewards package including:
- A competitive compensation structure based on transparency, clarity and fairness
- A flexible benefits program
- Personal days to help balance personal and professional commitments
- Family friendly policies including a 35-hour workweek
- Employee referral program
Smart & Biggar is a proud member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN), working to promote diversity and encourage a culture of inclusion in our firms and the broader legal profession. We welcome application from all qualified individuals. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Smart & Biggar is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s 2019 Top Small and Medium Employers. Find out why!
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.