Reporting to: Chief Operating Office_Star Produce Ltd.
At the Star Group, we strive to be the most innovative team in produce with an unwavering commitment to value and taste. The Star Group is an organization comprised of boutique companies that specialize in different sectors of the fresh produce industry: Star Produce, CFP, Sliced FC, BC Hot House, and Whole Leaf. For more than 25 years we have been supplying the highest quality of fruits and vegetables and searching the globe for Big Taste®.
The General Manager is responsible for the direct management and handling of all warehousing, distribution, and production functions at the warehouse facility. This includes accountability for inbound and outbound freight, safe handling and storage of all produce and goods within the facility, as well as adherence to all legislative, safety, and organizational policies and procedures. The General Manager will accomplish effective logistical oversight through strong leadership and decision-making skills. The General Manager will work in collaboration with the Production Manager to direct all facility needs including hiring, discipline, firing and the maintenance of equipment and building.
Job Context and Accountabilities
- Manage the receiving, handling, distribution, and storage of all freight, product, and supplies that come in and out of Vega Processing and SlicedFC.
- Maintain all orders from Vega Processing Shipped to customer’s specifications in a timely manner in adherence to their delivery schedule.
- Work with employees communicating what the expectations are for Vega processing in regards to the task above so we are on the same page.
- Maintains quality service by stablishing and enforcing organizational standards demand of product.
- Analyze and identify areas for improvement in current product flow and production flow set up to maximize efficiencies.
- Manage all invoices for payment for Star, Vega and SlicedFC to ensure cost is accurate and pricing in line with set out agreements with suppliers.
- Manage building maintenance and cost associated with Star, SlicedFC and Vega Processing to ensure operations are functional and keep repair cost low.
- Negotiate PM Service agreements to ensure within market rate.
- Work on capital projects within Winnipeg for SlicedFC and Vega Processing for all building matters.
- Cost controlling on labor and supplies.
- Implementing require process or policy changes for SlicedFC Winnipeg and Vega processing.
- Working improvement to flow in production and takes ideas to see if they would work.
- Responsible and accountable for managing labor on-site including full authority to hire, discipline and terminate employees as per our human resource policies and in alignment with operational requirements.
- Acts in Liaison with Shared Services to ensure effective shipping & receiving practices, sanitation procedures & practices and preventative maintenance standards & practices.
- Responsible for ensuring all operational policies, practices and procedures are adhered too on the Whole Leaf. Site.
- Responsible and accountable to work with the Star Food Safety team to ensure the site meets safe food practices for producing product in a high care environment.
- Responsible & Accountable for ensuring employees understand, acknowledge and adhere to the Star guidelines and practices and procedures.
- Responsible and Accountable for all on-site inventory including the ordering of materials and ensuring the accurate counting and reporting of inventory levels.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in business, marketing, commerce, or related field
- 5+ years of successful management of distribution channels, account development and customer support
- Food Safety Training
- HACCP ( Level 1& 2 ) ( certification)
- SQF Systems Program
- Optimizing Warehouse Operations
- WHMIS Training
- First Aid ( Level 2 )
- Forklift Operator Certification ( Bi-Annually )
- Strong knowledge of operations function processes and cross-functional exposure to other company business operations (logistics, inventory management, marketing, supply chain)
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Experience in using technology; including ERP
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal skills to communicate with all levels of the organization and its executive team.
- Strong quantitative and critical thinking skills.
- Team leadership and teambuilding abilities.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills, diplomacy, and tact.
- Persuasive, motivational, and persistent.
- Excellent planning and resource allocation skills.
- Direct working knowledge of operations, warehouse, and transportation management.
- Familiar with produce-level traceability and recall systems, as well as implementation experience.
- Direct working knowledge of HACCP plan, and its implementation.
- Ability to interpret and act upon complex instructions, and corporate goals.
- Hours may be irregular and in excess of 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week.
- Work outside ordinary office hours (including weekends and holidays) may be required.
- Able to work in cold, hot & cold warehouse/production environments
- Walking and standing throughout the day
- Indirect Reports
- Production Manager (Reporting to Sr. Director of Operations – dotted line to GM)
- Direct Reports
- Shipping Receiving team
Job Type: Full-time
- Account Development: 5 years (Preferred)
- Management: 5 years (Required)
- Customer Support: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- WHMIS (Preferred)
- HACCP (Preferred)
- Forklift Operator (Preferred)