Find purpose in your work – give hope to someone today and every day. Use your passion and English language facilitation skills to help newcomers learn about Canadian language, culture, and customs in our “Living in Canada, Eh?” program.
Here's what we have to offer you:
- Rewarding work where you know you are making a difference in the lives of people
- Being part of a faith-focused organization recognized worldwide and where living out our mission and core values is paramount
- Benefits: health and dental benefits, employer RRSP contributions (matching not required), time off allowance, Employee Assistance Program.
Here's how you will contribute to the program:
- Facilitate classes that focus on various elements of living in Canada, including English as spoken here, Canadian culture and traditions, and daily life within the Canadian context
- Assess current learner skill level in speaking, comprehension, reading, and writing and recommend appropriate learning plan
- Research and/or develop appropriate curriculum and design weekly lesson plans
- Oversee volunteer facilitators and class helpers, providing guidance and support as required
- Work with Adult Education team to build integrated programs and education plans for clients
What you need to get an interview:
- TESOL/TESL, and/or TEFL certification
- Certificate in Adult Education
- Two+ years of community college in a related field
- Three+ years of related experience, including experience in facilitating English language programs
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Word and PowerPoint
- Expertise in facilitation including aural and oral proficiency and participant engagement skills
- Solid understanding of the barriers and challenges newcomers to Canada face
- Self-motivation and experience in managing multiple programs in a fast-paced environment
- Resiliency and ability to adapt to challenges associated with change
- Strong desire to support the mission and core values of The Salvation Army
Full Time – 40 hours per week. (must be able to work two evenings per week)
Please include competition number AED012119 in the subject line of your application.
View our website to learn more about this and other programs we offer: www.salvationarmycalgary.org
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Job Type: Full-time