About the Organization
Local Engineering is an engineering services provider that prides itself on providing various sustainable services to a select group of recurring clients. Local’s unique approach is to develop a long-term relationship with their clients, becoming their “owner’s engineer” and prioritizing client needs. They have a wide-ranging and diverse client base including oil and gas, petrochemical and biomass processing engineering. The growing Local Engineering team is small but nimble, which allows them to adapt to client requirements quickly and effectively. Local is currently expanding their existing client base and requires additional team members to complete and deliver effective value-added solutions for clients.
The Intermediate-Senior Process Engineer will provide sustainable capital and operational process project engineering support to clients such as improvements within existing facilities, including but not limited to conceptual design of improvement ideas, replacement of existing equipment and design and implementation of new capital projects. The pace of work is fast and changes from day to day, which requires an agile person who can manage and execute many activities simultaneously in a challenging environment. This position is an opportunity for a high level of growth and career development and requires a motivated individual who can constantly learn and adapt. It is critical that the successful candidate is a positive addition to the existing strong and cohesive team.
Education & Qualifications
- Graduate of a recognized university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical/Process/Mining Engineering or equivalent.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with APEGA.
- Preference will be given to a candidate with 7 or more years of progressive process engineering experience in the oil and gas or chemical/petrochemical sector, however team fit is most important.
- 5 or more years of experience specializing in tailings processes and ANSI code experience with slurry pumps is considered an asset.
- Experience with Process Hazard Analysis methodology (i.e. HAZOP, “What if”).
- Experience developing drawings including process PFD’s, PID’s, and material balances.
- Proficient in sizing pumps, rupture disc, relief vales, control valves.
- Ability to select appropriate equipment and instrumentation for an application and coordinate with vendor as required.
- Experience developing operating philosophies and control narratives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word & PowerPoint) and Engineering software applications (i.e. AFT, SRC, HYSYS).
- Assist senior/project engineers in the preparation of studies, designs, and detailed engineering for various projects, including the development of process design criteria, troubleshooting, preparation of engineering calculations, analyses and studies, development of process simulations, PFDs and P&IDs, equipment sizing and specifications, and report writing.
- Support the project team to deliver high quality client service that maintains technical excellence, budget, schedule and contractual requirements.
- Complete process equipment calculations and simulations.
- Execute detailed development of established design concepts for process systems and equipment.
- Communicate and coordinate with other team members, including managers, engineers, designers, and drafters.
- Communicate with vendors and contractors as required.
- Actively engage directly with clients to understand their requirements and expectations and deliver top quality solutions.
- Manage project budgets ensuring work is completed according to the defined contractual scope and execution strategy.
- Participate on multi-discipline projects, including developing deliverables from concept through calculations and detailed design, and final / stamped issue.
- Coordinate assigned work with other technical personnel as directed.
- Provide additional support as needed including learning the work requirements of other disciplines (mechanical, electrical, structural) in order to deliver well-rounded solutions to clients.
- Travel to the field for project scoping, verification, construction support and meeting with clients as needed.
Skills & Knowledge
- Client service oriented
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Dependable self-starter
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and within a team as required by the project
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to work well in a team
- High attention to detail
- Continuous learner
- Hours of work per week may vary depending on available work and skillset of individual.
- Salary is commensurate with APEGA salary scale.
- Job is performed in an office environment.
- Site travel may be required depending on the project.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
Common surfaces are sanitized regularly, mandatory masks, social distancing and remote interview process.
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Professional Engineering License (P. Eng) (required)