Location is at Cape Breton Correctional Facility
3002146 MHA Offender Health Cape Breton
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Nursing Bargaining Unit - NSGEU
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
*** Please note, this position is located at the Cape Breton Correctional Facility, Sydney, Nova Scotia; employee orientation will take place in Sydney, Nova Scotia***
The Staff Nurse will work under the direction of the Clinical Operations Supervisor or delegate and will be responsible for providing a standard of nursing care that meets professional practice standards for a registered nurse.
The RN, in collaboration with other members of the health care team will be responsible for:
- The triage of offenders into the facility and the various health clinics
- The assessment, treatment and evaluation of a wide variety of health needs
- Delivery of medication to the population
- Response to emergency medical needs of offenders in their living areas
- Health education as necessary
- Delivery of care within the parameters of a secure Corrections facility
- Graduate of an approved School of Nursing; Baccalaureate degree preferred
- Registered with the CRNNS
- Basic Life support
- Medical nursing experience an asset
- Psychiatric nursing experience an asset
- Previous Corrections experience an asset
- Commitment to quality care
- Strong knowledge of Mental Health treatment practices
- Critical thinking skills and problem solving skills
- Sound clinical judgment
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Self directed in his/her nursing practice and professional development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a capacity for coping with challenging clinical situations, an openness for change, and the ability to effectively contribute as a member of the team
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful candidates will be required to complete a two week mandatory orientation session (Sydney, Nova Scotia)
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent full-time position; 75 hours biweekly
Shifts including days, evenings, and weekends
$34.1762 - $40.3968 hourly
($41.8107 hourly with 25 years RN experience)
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSGEU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/