University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Patient Flow Coordinator in our JDMI Department.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
As a member of Medical Imaging, the Patient Flow Coordinator is responsible for the overall processing of patient clinic visits from registration through to follow-up appointments. The Patient Flow Coordinator (PFC) performs the following responsibilities: transcribing physician orders; making appointments for tests and answering patient queries and handling busy telephone activities; coordinates and facilitates the efficient flow of patients through the various stages of their visit; communicates effectively in person or by telephone with internal and external parties; coordinates the scheduling of patient appointments including the retrieval of charts from Health Records, pulling patient clinic lists for the day and activating patient information in the computer; responsible for ordering and stocking of supplies and setting up of equipment; performs cross-functional duties, as assigned or requested; and performs other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
- Completion of Grade XII or recognized equivalent - required
- Completion of Medical Office Administration Program
- Completion of Medical Terminology Course(s) is an asset
- Minimum of one (1) year related work experience - required
- Previous experience working in a Health care environment strongly preferred
- Previous experience working with the Electronic Patient Record (EPR) or Pathways Healthcare Scheduling (PHS) - preferred
- Working knowledge of computer software applications preferably in a Microsoft Office environment
- Demonstrated commitment to client service and satisfaction
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills
- Strong communication, organizational, time management and problem solving skills
- Strong judgment/decision making skills
- Ability to remain calm and composed when dealing with difficult people or situations
- Ability to work efficiently in a high-pressured environment with simultaneous demands
- Adheres to confidentiality policy for sensitive patient data and information
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and collaborate with others in assisting with the delivery of services