Our client, Woods, Clemens, Fletcher & Cronin, is a busy solicitor’s practice in Elmira, Ontario with a focus on Corporate, Commercial, Real Estate, Wills and Estates law.
This long established 4 lawyer practice, with 19 support staff, has a strong sense of community, and strives to provide practical, efficient and cost-effective service to our clients.
Steady growth and dedication to service has fueled our expansion to working out of two offices in Elmira and one in Drayton. We are seeking an Office Manager with a strong legal background to help support our growing practice.
The Office Manager will oversee and manage the day-to-day business operations of the firm’s offices and will work with the partners to set firm strategy and policies. The Office Manager will ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the office and engage in continuous collaboration with the lawyers to ensure that clients receive excellent service and staff are supported in their work. The Office Manager will also assist with accounting, technology, management, human resources, facilities and all other activities related to the effective and efficient operation of the law practice.
Why Join Our Team?
- Family comes first here – so family values and respect for work life balance are important to us
- Competitive salary, commensurate with level of experience and group benefits
- Friendly, supportive team environment
- Opportunity to grow as we grow
- Management and support of staff, including hiring, preparing job descriptions, managing compensation issues, performance evaluation and discipline. Administer group benefits programs.
- Create and maintain employment policies in accordance with current government requirements
- Maintain a strong positive working environment where the team is rewarded, appreciated and engaged
- Assist and support the firm’s accounting including year-end financial statements, billing, collections, trust accounting and payroll.
- Prepare and analyse monthly financial statements, preparation of annual operating and capital budgets, monitor cash flow; co-ordinate external audits for Law Society and Government agencies; manage banking relationships and professional and general insurance
- Review and file Members Annual Report with LSO
- Complete and file professional insurance application annually and other submissions including HST reporting; T4 Summaries for year-end
Office Systems & Equipment
- Make recommendations on office procedures and process to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Work with external IT consultants to ensure continuous operations of all networks and systems in a secure environment and to an appropriate level of performance. Participate in setting the firms technology strategy and planning for developments such as records management systems, office automation, mobile technologies telecommunications and practice support systems.
- Evaluate and implement new legal application software and organize appropriate training
- Evaluate, purchase & co-ordinate management and installation of office photocopiers, printers, faxes, scanners and other equipment; maintain inventory as needed
- Assist in maintaining and evaluating building premises, including repairs, maintenance and office selection and layout.
- 5 to 10 years’ experience as an Office Manager, or Accounting role in support of senior management positions (legal industry would be a strong asset)
- Graduation form a recognized college or university with major course work in business administration, human resources, technology or comparable work experience
- Understanding of Rules of Professional Conduct for lawyers
- Experience and knowledge of best Human Resources Practices and current legislation
- Excellent supervisory and leadership skills.
- Experience in managing document management systems in a legal environment
- Experience managing technical team workload by maintaining Practice Management Software such as PC Law, Do Process (Conveyancer, Estate-A-Base, Fast Company) and Microsoft would be an asset
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining and promoting organization and attention to detail.
Our client is an equal opportunity employer. If you require assistance at any point through the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be pleased to accommodate your request.
Job Type: Full-time
- legal administration: 5 years (Preferred)
- Staff Supervision: 5 years (Preferred)
- accounting: 3 years (Preferred)
- Business Systems: 3 years (Preferred)
- Office Management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)