Senior Estimator – Mechanical
Comtech Group Inc. (Comtech) is a multidisciplinary consulting firm providing professional services in Program and Project Management, Engineering, Technology and Project Capacity Services spanning multiple industry sectors, with offices across North America. With full-lifecycle consulting services from concept through to commissioning, Comtech provides scalable solutions to deliver capital programs and projects, ranging from the management, control and delivery of multi-billion dollar urban rapid transit programs to complex capital initiatives for industrial manufacturers, public utilities and power generators.
Comtech is engaged with Public and Private sector clients within the Transportation & Infrastructure, Industrial & Manufacturing, Energy & Utilities and Buildings & Facilities sectors. Leveraging our comprehensive range of technical, engineering and project management services, we are actively building and nurturing long-term relationships with our clients, employees, and the communities we support. In support of our capital programs/projects and continued growth, Comtech is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Mechanical Estimator.
Under the direction of the Manager of Estimating, Supervisor of Estimating and Assigned Lead Senior Estimators, this position is responsible for preparing various types of mechanical trade construction cost estimates assigned for the EC&E Group projects in support of the Capital Program. Cost estimates will be required for complex mechanical services related to transit systems and industrial building applications for new construction and repair/renovation projects.
The individual shall also be required to:
- Prepare order-of-magnitude, conceptual, feasibility, pre-design, budget, value engineering, control, definitive, and final Engineer’s estimates as well as major change order estimates
- Estimate mechanical systems involving subway station ventilation equipment, IHVAC, building automation & controls, plumbing, hydronic systems & boilers, storm & sanitary drainage, utilities, fire protection, conveying equipment, service and maintenance equipment, pumps, storage tanks, compressed air, natural gas systems, etc.
- Prepare cost breakdown documents for progress payments and detailed quantity surveys from analysis of contract drawings and specifications
- Prepare basis of estimate documentation for inclusion into reports
- Analyze and report on cost breakdowns and price schedules submitted by contractors subsequent to tender closing
- Prepare cost variance reports and explanations, tender comparisons, post bid analysis, cost reduction strategies and recommendations
- Maintain current construction cost data based on historical costs, market research and indices in the application of a computerized cost estimating system
- Provide mechanical trade cost information to the Project Teams for inclusion into budgets, schedules, and cash flows
- Liaise with various EC&E Branch management and staff, other branches, external agencies, consultants, and suppliers to obtain facts and cost information pertinent to the performance of the estimating work
- Review and comment on foreign cost estimates to ensure accuracy, comprehensiveness and consistency with the E&C Branch estimating guidelines and procedures
- Maintain files and records of work
- Skilled in the application of practices and procedures involved in the estimating process and in the preparation of estimates for all trades and disciplines on complex construction projects
- Hands-on experience in the estimating support function for the preparation of all ranges of estimates, from feasibility study to definitive
- Understanding of principles and methodology of the Capital budget process, cash flows and escalation indices
- Experience on construction projects related to the transit industry
- Computer literate with an understanding of computer based estimating, electronic spreadsheet, database and other computerized applications related to the work
- Professional certification with Ontario Institute of Quantity Surveyors, American Association of Cost Engineers, or similar technical association(s) is an asset
Comtech Group Inc. is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources @ Comtech by emailing – career@teamcomtech. com
Comtech Group offers our employees a competitive compensation package with comprehensive employee benefits, and an environment that fosters teamwork & entrepreneurial spirit. Comtech Group is an equal opportunity employer. Please submit your resume in MS Word format to Comtech Group via e-mail at career@teamcomtech. com
Job Type: Full-time
- Estimating: 5 years (Preferred)