Duties and Responsibilities:
Under general supervision of the Director, Innovation Hub, the Ventures Program Officer is responsible for the smooth operation, development, and delivery of Innovation Hub’s suite of incubator and accelerator programs. The Innovation Hub is Carleton University’s lead unit for all innovation and entrepreneurship-related programming and activities, and therefore, the Officer is expected to partner with the university’s faculties and develop ways to play an integral role in all other innovation and entrepreneurship-related initiatives.
On a day-to-day basis, the Ventures Program Officer will lead the design, development and implementation of a series of activities, projects, and sessions for Carleton’s incubator and accelerator programs while building innovative collaboration opportunities with industry, academic staff, students,the local community, and the global innovation ecosystem.
A critical part of Innovation Hub’s mandate is to bring together students from all disciplines to develop an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset through experiential learning and multidisciplinary opportunities. To deliver on this aspect of the Innovation Hub’s mandate, the incumbent will build strong and ongoing partnerships with Carleton University’s faculities and faculty members as part of the program development and delivery process. The incumbent regularly collects and reports on the performance measurement metrics.
Qualifications:The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
Education and Experience:The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
- Able to collaborate with others external and internal personnel to Carleton University;
- Possess strong coordination skills in developing resources, services, and programs suitable for different audiences;
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving skills are essential;
- Good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness;
- Can remain calm and stay focused while working under pressure;
- Works with autonomy in self-directed role;
- Can Analyze data and makes recommendations in consideration of competing demands;
- Provides reactive response to operational activities and situations;
- Determines priorities and actions based on previous experience, understanding the nature of the work, and through reliance on policies, procedures, and processes;
- Identifies issues, consults, collaborates, and follows policies, procedures, and processes;
- Knowledge of finance, budget, and administration policies, procedures, and processes;
- Knowledge of project management principles, tools, and processes;
- Knowledge of office productivity software and databases, internet browsers and search engines, discipline-specific software, enterprise software, and technology devices;
- Knowledge of industry/external community/entrepreneurial experience is imperative;
- Academic experience an asset, not required;
- Knowledge of cultural competency and diversity in a business context;
- Experience in developing activity that fosters engagement between the University and business sectors;
- Experience in evaluating, working with, and guiding the launch of new ventures and their growth at early stages;
- Excellent communicator (written, verbal);
- Proven competencies in operations management, program design, and process improvements;
- Proven competencies in the design and operation of online and/or hybrid incubator/accelerator programs;
- Experience with the information technology infrastructure required to deliver online and hybrid programs;
- Experience researching and teaching what new ventures must do to scale early and rapidly;
- Honour’s Bachelor degree, preferably in Business/Entrepreneurship. Equivalencies may be considered;
- A minimum of five (5) years of previous experience in entrepreneurship and business
(industry) experience is required. Strong skills and experience with technology and tools
used in industry.
Carleton University and CUPE 2424 are currently completing a joint job evaluation and pay equity project. The University and the Union are working together to describe the skills, effort, responsibilities and working conditions associated with every CUPE 2424 job, including this one. As a result, the job description that is currently associated with this posting (for recruitment purposes) may be revised to reflect the actual duties captured in the new job descriptions.
By applying for this job you are acknowledging that the actual duties associated with this job may differ somewhat from those identified in the job posting and that you will agree to perform the duties of this job as determined through the joint job evaluation process.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.