Overnight – Awake Support Worker
Residential and Respite Services Team
Manager, Residential and Respite Services
Hours of Work:
Overnights every other week-end
This position will be filled on a first comes basis and job offers maybe made before the closing of the posting, we encourage you to apply early.
The Overnight – Awake Support Worker works as a professional within a clinical multidisciplinary team that follows a biopsychosocial model of intervention for children, youth and adults with complex developmental, physical and emotional challenges. This position will primarily be responsible for the care of individuals while they are asleep during the overnight hours. The Overnight – Awake Support Worker is expected to be awake during the overnight hours and respond to support needs as required. Additional tasks include completing light housekeeping tasks to maintain the home and program.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support independence of individuals with daily living programs (toileting, feeding, grooming etc.):
o Instruct, advise or support individuals on managing household cleanliness, grooming hygiene, nutrition, and other personal care needs;
o Perform housekeeping duties, such as cooking, cleaning, washing clothes or dishes, or running errands;
o Provide transportation to individuals via association or public transit.
- Provide personal care supports according to directions on the established care plan or best practice:
o Possess and demonstrate knowledge of First Aid, CPR, CPI, WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety Act, fire prevention and safety procedures and other areas as deemed necessary by the association.
o Perform healthcare-related tasks, such as monitoring vital signs, dispensing medication, as directed by a primary care physician, pharmacist or other regulated health care professional;
o Be familiar with and follow medication procedures and manage medication as per protocols:
o Receive and properly execute the training received on:
- lifting and transferring
- G-tube feeding which is individual specific
- Medication dispensing
- Provide written documentation of events at the residence by end of each shift as well as incident reports as necessary;
- Deal with emergency situations accordingly and contact emergency numbers when needed;
- Support the maintenance of the home and program by completing housekeeping tasks as required these duties may include; laundry, washing dishes, preparing breakfast etc.
At Hopewell, we recognize that core organization specific employee behaviours are fundamental to the success of our organization. Through actions, all employees support the Mission, Vision, Values, and Principles, of Hopewell. Thus, the following responsibilities are core to all jobs at Hopewell, including this one. All employees in all jobs are expected to:
Be reliable, this includes:
- Being prepared to start your shift as scheduled;
- Completing required tasks at appropriate times (during shift);
- Following through on the directions given by the Manager.
Adhere to the guidelines and regulations established in the workplace, this includes:
Complete documentation and training, this includes:
- Adhering to Hopewell’s Policy and Procedures (e.g. Health and Safety Guidelines, Confidentiality etc.);
- Recognize, identify and report problems, contentious issues and serious incidents, including recommending solutions to the manager where appropriate;
- Always behaving in professional, legally and ethically compliant manner;
- Demonstrating a strong commitment to continuously improving the Quality of Life of individuals so that they may live with dignity and respect.
Maintain healthy internal relationships, this includes:
- Completing necessary paperwork on shift, with high levels of data accuracy and attention to detail;
- Participating in ongoing training and development and ensure all mandatory training requirements are met and maintained.
- Recognizing and responding to vocalized and implied needs of residents in a timely, nurturing and professional manner, as well as working well with workplace peers/colleagues;
- Maintaining a positive attitude about the workplace is critical to maintain a pleasant relationship with residents and peers;
- Directly reporting potential/actual areas of concern about residents/peers to their team leader or manager.
- Work flexible hours within a variety of settings as required by the changing needs of the program and the people we support;
- When required, must be able to undertake lifting of people following guidelines for proper back care, lifting and transferring as required by the program;
- Must have valid class G driver's license.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents may be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties that may be required by the agency.