This position requires thorough knowledge of civil/structural design and engineering techniques. The successful applicant will be responsible to plan and conduct independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria. In addition, they will devise new approaches to problems, and prepare or modify drawings, specifications, calculations, charts and graphs, and monitor work for compliance to applicable codes, and accepted engineering practices.
· Collaborate with production and safety departments on situational solutions involving structural design including design and structural analysis of manufacturing tools and plant safety systems.
· Perform design analysis, calculations, models and validation for manufacturing plant designs and approvals; lifting beams/devices, carts, tables, fixtures etc.
· Prepare design analysis, calculations, models and validation for structurally related components of HVAC equipment, modular type equipment and other manufactured items.
· Create/supervise and approve structural drawings for fabrication purposes.
· Work with third parties including various jurisdictions for approvals of structural design of manufactured equipment as required by specific projects.
· Provide cost/benefit studies of various designs and associated justification involving structural component sizing and selection for company product platforms.
· Flexibility in working with engineering/production teams on various other projects as needed/directed.
· Perform inspections on manufacturing floor to ensure conformance with structural designs.
· Maintenance of plant CWB certification.
· Collaborate with other engineering disciplines as part of a design team.
· Work with varying structural engineering software and provide improvement initiatives and suggestion for technological advancement.
· Provide leadership within a multidisciplinary engineering team and manufacturing facility.
· Have knowledge and understanding of structural and safety codes imposed by various associations.
· Other duties and projects as assigned.
· Independently manage a workload consisting of multiple projects with multiple deadlines.
· Collaborate with senior staff with execution of projects and orders.
· Manage and execute work tasks and projects efficiently.
· Mentor, coach and supervise the work of junior staff.
· Interact with internal employees, external regulators and clients on a variety of jobs/projects.
· Work both independently and as part of a departmental team lead in executing a variety of projects. Interact with other engineering disciplines and trades to successfully carry out all project requirements.
· Manufacturing plant office environment.
· Occasional travel to field worksite locations may require Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Some occasional travel required including international travel.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, and 5+ years of experience with knowledge in civil and/or structural engineering, obtainable usually through a combination of experience and continuing education.
· Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) designation.
· 2+ years of related experience in structural design required. Additional experience in metal fabrication and/or manufacturing is an asset.
· Membership or eligible for membership in APEGA.
· Exudes confidence and tact in interacting with clients and colleagues.
· Has the ability to interact positively with outward facing clients.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are crucial.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Self-starting, ability to manage multiple tasks on strict deadlines.
· Commitment to continuous technical learning and personal development, both self-directed and under the guidance of others.
· Diligent, with an eye for detail.
· Ability to perform under occasional stressful situations on tight deadlines.
· Reports to: Mechanical Engineering Manager
Job Type: Full-time