Alberta Insurance Council - DevOps Coordinator
The Alberta Insurance Council and the Ministry of Treasury Board and Finance work together to ensure consumers are protected and companies, insurance adjusters and insurance agents operate at the highest standards. The Insurance Adjusters’ Council, General Insurance Council and the Life Insurance Council are the regulatory bodies responsible for licensing and discipline of insurance agents, brokers and independent adjusters in the Province of Alberta. The Councils are formed under the Insurance Act and they derive their authority under a delegation from the Minister of Finance for the province. Our mission is to Protect the Alberta insurance consumer through the regulation of insurance intermediaries.
Reports To: Director of Information Technology and Business Services
The core responsibility of the DevOps Coordinator is determining the operational and technical platforms of web applications including the orchestration/automation of system configuration, application deployment and configuration, performance engineering and cloud deployments/management. This role will accurately scope multiple concurrent project requirements, manage delivery timelines, understand delivery requirements, identify process and knowledge gaps and work to bridge them. This role will drive the design, development, testing and implementation of continuous integration(CI) and continuous delivery(CD) solutions. The DevOps Coordinator will work to clearly understand business and technology dependencies and work with cross-functional teams such as web developers, database architect, and infrastructure coordinator to assist in delivering products in a timely manner.
Position Type: Full time permanent employee.
Planning and Management Responsibilities
· Build and maintaining tools, solutions and microservices associated with deployment and operations platforms, ensuring that all meet our customer service standards.
· Design, develop and test continuous integration(CI) and continuous delivery(CD) solutions.
· Update our existing processes and design new processes as needed.
· Actively troubleshoot any issues that arise during testing and production.
· Deploy product updates as required while implementing integrations when they arise.
· Automate operational processes as needed, with accuracy and in compliance with our security requirements.
· Establish and document DevOps best practices and workflow.
· Manage code deployments, fixes, updates and related processes.
· Work with open-source technologies as needed.
· Manage and maintain CI, CD, and source control tools such as Docker, Docker Swarm, Quay.io, GIT and SVN.
· Provide technical support where needed for software development team.
· Stay current with industry trends and source new ways for our business to improve.
· Design and implement short and long-term strategic plans to ensure containerization and orchestration platforms meet existing and future requirements for corporate systems and web applications.
· Provide orchestration and automation expertise and assistance as needed to the software development team.
Provide effective management and support of the company' s DevOps environment, including and not restricted to the following:
· Docker Containerization + Docker Swarm
· Process Manager 2 (PM2), GIT, SVN, Jenkins
· Circle CI, Quay.IO, and Sumo Logic
· Linux Server Administration and Support (servers pertaining to DevOps)
· Collaboration with and some back up for the Infrastructure Coordinator including VMware vSphere and SolarWinds.
Education and Experience:
· 3-5 years’ experience in a similar role
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience and related studies
· Experience with containerized application delivery and load balancing.
· Experience with highly virtualized server/desktop environment.
· AWS DevOps
· Azure DevOps
Attributes and Skills:
· Project management experience
· Customer service focused
· Solid time management skills
· Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic and demanding environment
· Demonstrated progression of skills advancement
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
This position will require some local travel within Alberta. This position may occasionally require travel to other jurisdictions in Canada, or travel for training inside Canada or the United States. The candidate will be located in the Calgary office of the Alberta Insurance Council.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent