HeartHouse Hospice began in 1985 when Ms. Laurie Bennett, a palliative care professional at a local hospital, realized the need for a community service to help her patients to be at home at the end of their lives. She organized the then called Hospice of Peel from her dining room table. It began with one volunteer training program and 18 individuals with a terminal illness who were supported in their homes. By the time Laurie retired in 2000 the number of volunteers and persons served had grown exponentially
HeartHouse Hospice, continues to grow in our ability to support the people, and the community, we serve. Our continuum of support programs include hospice counselling, spiritual care, HUUG children’s program, weekly social program, health and wellness, education, bereavement and will soon grow to include a hospice residence. Today we serve over 1,200 individuals a year who are living with a life limiting illness and additionally their family members and loved ones in Mississauga and Brampton. We have supported over 17,000 people since our humble beginnings
The Director of Finance and Administration
HeartHouse Hospice is restructuring its finance and administration department to prepare for the growth anticipated as we enter a capital campaign to build a hospice centre in Mississauga. The hospice centre will include the facilities needed to continue, and grow our community programs and will also extend our services to include a 10 bed hospice residence and administration support. We are looking for a Director of Finance and Administration who is able to work as part of the team to take on this challenge and help HeartHouse Hospice navigate this exciting growth
The Director of Finance and Administration reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for Finance, Human Resources (HR), Information Technology (IT), facilities and general office administration. This position is a key member of the Leadership team. The role has two full-time direct reports, an Office Administrator/Bookkeeper and a Coordinator of Data Management and is responsible for the relationship with a contracted IT provider.
- Lead the annual operating budget preparation in conjunction with the Executive Director, Leadership team and Board committees.
- Prepare monthly financials including variance analysis and risk identification for the Finance Committee and leadership team.
- Prepare fundraising reports and adhoc reports on request.
- Oversee the Office Administrator/Bookkeeper responsible for maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and related reconciliations using QuickBooks.
- Support leadership team in tracking and updating budgets.
- Prepare quarterly financial and statistical reporting to government funders and as required under other funding grants.
- Ensure all statutory filing deadlines are met including the Annual Charitable filing (T3010), semi-annual HST rebate and Public Sector Salary disclosure.
- Oversee spending and reporting related to the Bingo and Lottery accounts.
- Oversee charitable receipting process ensuring receipts are issued in compliance with government regulations.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Ensure Finance policies are current and complete.
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Review employment contracts to ensure compliance with employment standards and polices.
- Negotiate and manage the employee insurance and benefits plans.
- Manage/update salary grids and benefits templates as required.
- Adhere to Employment Standards, Human Rights Legislation, and Human Resource policy.
- Orient new staff on HR paper work requirements and benefits.
- Comply with all aspects of federal and provincial legislation and the timely completion of related forms and returns including T4’s, annual reconciliations of T4’s, WSIB and EHT.
IT AND DATA MANAGEMENT
- Negotiate, maintain and oversee 3rd party IT support for the organization
- Oversee Coordinator of Data Management staff responsible for SUMAC database software maintenance, statistical reporting, and Stratim data updates and maintenance
- Oversee Office Administrator/Bookkeeper responsible for first level IT support and troubleshooting of equipment.
- Ensure IT policies are followed, updated, and adhere to Accreditors standards.
- Oversee IT planning for equipment, software and changing requirements.
OFFICE ADMINISTRATION AND FACILITIES
- Supervise and support the Office Administrator/Bookkeeper.
- Acts as recording secretary at Board meetings including the AGM.
- Provides administrative support to the board.
- Responsible for maintenance of office furniture and equipment and preparing replacement budgets as required.
- Liaises with Landlord regarding facility maintenance.
- Manage all insurance, contracts and office equipment leases.
- 10 years’ experience in Finance with 3 years’ experience in a senior level Finance/Accounting position.
- Proven expertise in accounting systems, budgeting, fund accounting, internal controls, and business planning-ideally in a not for profit setting.
- Undergraduate degree with a professional accounting designation.
- Experience overseeing office management including IT systems, leases and insurance.
- Familiarity with Ontario Ministry of Health or other government regulatory reporting.
- Understanding of HR systems and payroll, best practices and legal requirements.
- A commitment to fostering a healthy workplace and positive culture.
- Enthusiasm for creating systems and problem solving as part of a team.
- Attention to detail coupled with the ability to see the big picture.
- Ability to lead and manage people to get the job done and a willingness to jump in and take care of things as needed.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume by Friday, February 21 at 4:00 p.m. In your cover letter answer the question “What types of challenges are associated with financial reporting in the not for profit sector?” The anticipated start date of this position is April 6th.
We thank all individuals who apply but only selected candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Job Type: Full-time
- Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 10 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)