The Manager, Health & Safety (HS), will be responsible for establishing the governance and infrastructure around all things health and safety by leading and promoting an effective H&S workplace strategy that is compliant with legislation and proactive in providing Health and Safety services.
As an individual contributor, the successful incumbent will lead, design and implement organization-wide strategy, policies, procedures and programs that address safety, workplace injury prevention, emergency response and compliance needs for all staff at Cosmetica.
With strategic guidance from both Operations and Risk Management, this hands-on leadership position will; ensure corporate and provincial legislative compliance, develop and maintain ISO systems, develop an autonomous HS culture, promote defined Health and Wellness programs, define HS standard operating procedures, provide HS training, develop risk identification and reduction awareness and methods, all achieved through participation and employee engagement.
Safety Strategy Leadership
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve all safety, environmental and sustainability elements within the HS Management System for Cosmetica
- Perform a leadership role in opportunity risk review, incident investigation, case management, and internal management
- Define, implement and deliver HS objectives
- Complies with all HS standards, assures good housekeeping practices following 5S systems, and enforces plant rules and safety regulations, consistent with the corporate Values and Attitudes
- Provide interactive, hands-on leadership, coaching and mentoring to hourly and salaried employees in a manufacturing and R&D laboratory environment through:
- Safety and environmental assessments
- Development of Safety Risk reduction project plans * Analyze HS data to populate and develop Safety, Environmental and Health daily visual management boards
- Promote, develop and train behavioral HS initiatives to drive to an autonomous HS culture
- Creation and maintenance of risk / ergonomic assessments, job safety analysis, incident analysis, safety observations
- Leads and facilitates joint health and safety team meetings
- Ensure standards of safety are designed into process and equipment; practicing prevention through design and other proactive safety management system elements
Safety Awareness and Compliance
- Liaises with government entities and maintains all HS related permits
- Continuously inspect and evaluate the environment, equipment, processes, and workplace to ensure compliance with government safety regulations, corporation and industry standards
- Maintain HS training program to ensure proper training is provided for all Cosmetica employees
- Communicate Safety Warnings and evaluate the possibility of occurrence at own location
- Organize and maintain all hard copy and electronic records, permits, audits, and written programs necessary for compliance with regulations
- Provides support to project teams with capital projects, process implementation and commissioning, and regulatory affairs
Skills, Experience and Education Required:
- Post-secondary education in Occupational Health & Safety, Engineering, HS, Industrial Safety, Ergonomics or Industrial Hygiene and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in manufacturing
- Minimum 5 years of direct experience as an HS Manager
- Proven ability in the development of a behavior based HS system from conception through integration
- Participative, hands-on, industrial, practical leader in an industrial manufacturing environment and pharmaceutical R&D environment
- Must be a self-starter and team player
- Demonstrated results as a participative Change Agent
- Proficient knowledge of and previous experience with Provincial and Federal HS standards
- Excellent analytical and problem solving capabilities
- Familiar with HS Management Frameworks for tracking metrics, action plans, sustainability and training
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks
- Flexible and open-minded with excellent written and oral communication
- Proficient using computers and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Nice to Have(s):
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or equivalent is an asset
- ISO 22716 experience is an asset
Working at Cosmetica:
Cosmetica is a dynamic growing organization; the opportunities for advancement are unique. The bulk of our promotions come from within and we always look to our people first! Our ‘In the Moment’ recognition program is one of a kind and allows us to regularly recognize the excellent work of our people. We are committed to developing great leaders/professionals and we provide progressive and ongoing training opportunities.
At Cosmetica, we are carving out our place as the go-to trendsetter in custom cosmetic development and manufacturing. We offer an unparalleled array of turnkey services such as product development, R&D, QA/QC services, client services and manufacturing solutions, all housed in our state of the art, 270,000 square foot facility.
Cosmetica has a simple strategy: to have the best innovation, best execution and service, best speed-to-market and the best people!
Accommodation: If you advise us of any special requirements, Cosmetica will do our best to provide accommodation for persons with disabilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Cosmetica Laboratories Inc.is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Thank you for your interest in working at Cosmetica Laboratories Inc. If you are shortlisted, you will be contacted by a member of our HR team.
Job Type: Full-time