Office Location: Dartmouth, NS (option to work remotely)
Date Posted: September 30, 2019
Doctors Nova Scotia (DNS) is the professional association representing all physicians in the province. There are over 3,500 members in total. The membership includes practicing physicians, retired physicians, medical students and residents. DNS is the collective voice of physicians in Nova Scotia. On behalf of the province’s doctors, the association is committed to working with all partners in health-care delivery to ensure Nova Scotia is positioned to recruit and retain talented and skilled doctors, introduce new and innovative ways to deliver health care, and to continuously look for ways to improve patient care and access. Learn more about Doctors Nova Scotia by visiting www.doctorsns.com.
Being a part of the Doctors Nova Scotia team means you will be working in a dedicated, positive and supportive environment. We want to fill a full-time, permanent position within our Physician Compensation and Practice Support Team.
As a member of the physician advisor team, you will be the primary Doctors Nova Scotia contact for physician members in the Eastern zone (Cape Breton, Guysborough and Antigonish areas) and Northern zone (Colchester-East Hants, Cumberland and Pictou areas). You will work directly with individual and groups of physicians in these zones to provide guidance and support in all facets of their professional practice.
The majority of your time will be spent in the Eastern and Northern zones; therefore, you will be provided with the tools to work remotely as needed.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing advice, guidance and support to physicians through all stages of practice development, including starting a new practice, care model planning/transition, parental leave planning and retirement and succession planning;
- Educating physicians about the Nova Scotia Master Agreement and various other remuneration models available in Nova Scotia;
- Advising physicians appropriately regarding the fee schedule, incentive programs, contract options, etc.;
- Supporting physicians in their negotiations and discussions with the Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) on various matters including Alternative Payment Plans (APPs), deliverables, Memorandums of Agreement (MOAs), recruitment packages, NHSA credentialing and privileging process, etc.;
- Advising physicians on APP contract terms and conditions and their contractual rights and responsibilities under the APP, including deliverables and practice plans;
- Working with individual and groups of physicians to resolve issues with billings, audits, appeals and practice supports;
- Helping physicians understand and navigate the approval and decision-making processes of various stakeholders (NSHA, Department of Health & Wellness, College of Physicians & Surgeons of Nova Scotia, etc.) and providing support throughout as needed;
- Providing advocacy and support for physicians when significant health system issues arise and helping them build capacity to advocate for themselves when facing health system concerns; and
- Acting as a liaison between physicians and Doctors Nova Scotia staff.
Your skills and experience include:
- A minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in the health care industry;
- Knowledge of the Nova Scotia health care landscape;
- Being a highly effective communicator;
- Excellent facilitation and conflict resolution skills;
- Being skilled at managing complex initiatives;
- Experience in stakeholder engagement/consultation;
- The ability to operate successfully in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Being a solution oriented and a broad-minded system thinker; and
- Having the ability to work autonomously and collaboratively with a team to achieve collective success.
- Knowledge of physician services and physician compensation programs would be an asset.
- An undergraduate degree in a health-related discipline or business management; an equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Preference may be given to those who have a master’s degree (MHSA, MBA, MPA, MHP).
- You must be willing to travel regularly within the province, have a vehicle and a valid Nova Scotia driver’s license.
Closing Date: October 25, 2019
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent