Altasciences is a mid-size contract research organization with a unique focus on supporting drug development from lead candidate selection to proof of concept. With over 25 years of industry experience, we provide preclinical and clinical solutions to an international customer base of biopharmaceutical companies. Our full-service offering in this critical stage of drug development includes program management, preclinical safety testing, clinical pharmacology services, medical writing, biostatistics, data management, and bioanalysis services tailored to specific research requirements. Altasciences has facilities in Montreal, QC; Kansas City, KS and Seattle, WA.
Our team is made up of over 1,300 professionals from the medical and scientific fields who work together to
achieve a common goal:
to contribute to the advancement of life sciences. Bring your talents and forward-thinking approach to Altasciences and help us develop medicines for those who need them, faster.
The Head Accountant provides front-line support to the Controller and manages the general accounting and accounts payable functions, leading a team four (4) accounting technicians. With strong accounting technical skills and knowledge of accounting standards (ASPE), the Head Accountant ensures transactions are accounted in accordance with GAAP and according to company policies and procedures.
Acting as a key player in the month-end process, the Head Accountant will:
- Ensure respect of month-end close timeline.
- Oversee the month-end close process for accounts payable and general accounting:
o Accounts payable;
o Monthly accruals/cutoff;
- Review month-end accruals (completeness).
- Perform analysis of certain profit & loss accounts, including :
o Travel & entertainment;
o Telecommunications and other IT expenses;
o Repairs and maintenance (production equipment, facilities);
o Sales commissions (internal and external);
o Equipment rental (Photocopiers).
- Review balance sheet continuity schedules, accounts payable aging and lead sheets.
- Prepare monthly intercompany invoicing of rechargeable expenses.
- Run monthly financial statements by department and line of service.
- Ensure the filing of statutory reports within the prescribed deadlines:
o Sales taxes (GST / QST);
o Statistics Canada;
- Mentor, support and train accounts payable and general accounting technicians through day to day support, guidance and coaching and propose necessary technical training.
- Review all payment requests relating to participant indemnification (including base indemnity, completion bonus, partial indemnity, referral premiums, inconvenience fees, etc.).
- Initiate and lead process automation and process improvement projects relating to the general accounting and accounts payable functions;
- Monitor and propose internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established company policies and procedures;
- Create and maintain vendor master files;
- Periodically review and update the approval workflows in various expense management systems (procurement, T&E, etc.);
- Act as a financial representative for certain meetings, multidisciplinary/interdepartmental projects.
- Support the Controller in the annual audit process.
- Other related duties, special requests and projects as required or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business administration, accounting or finance;
- Three (3) years of experience in a similar position and an accounting designation – CPA;
- Excellent knowledge of accounting standards (ASPE);
- Strong analytical mind;
- Attention to detail;
- Sense of initiative with strong orientation toward continuous improvement;
- Natural propensity for teamwork; offers spontaneous help to colleagues at peak times;
- Good organizational skills, management of priorities and timelines;
- Excellent communication skills in French and English (written and spoken);
- Problem solving and process improvement oriented;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics GP (asset).
Altasciences is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or any other protected grounds under applicable legislation. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities during the recruitment process are available upon request. Join us at Altasciences!