The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, a national union representing some 61,000 professionals and scientists throughout Canada, requires a bilingual Payroll and Finance Administrator at its National Office.
Under the direction of the Manager, Finance, the Payroll and Finance Administrator is responsible for the administration of payroll activities of the Institute. Major responsibilities include:
- administering employees’ bi-weekly pay resulting from collective bargaining and contractual agreements as well as the applicable federal and provincial statutory deductions.
- processing the bi-weekly payroll and transmitting payroll data to the appropriate financial institution. Preparing the resulting statutory and contractual remittance requests and the payroll journal entries in the General Ledger. Calculating monthly and year-end salary accrual for financial statements.
- providing information to employees on payroll issues, pensions, benefits, and leave records. Providing details of changes to pension and benefit plans to staff and update the Staff Benefit Plans Manual.
- administering the Group Insurance Plan on-line database.
- coordinating the administration of the employee pension plan through a third party administrator. Remitting the monthly pension plan contributions. Calculating the Pension Adjustment factor required for T4 purposes. Reviewing employees’ annual pension statements.
- preparing reports and statements required by federal and provincial statutes.
- administering the employee leave database using EZLabor by ADP and preparing leave reports for staff and management. Updating the database specifications to reflect changes to employee leave records resulting from modifications to the collective agreements and/or employment contracts.
- calculating overtime earned and taken on a monthly basis and preparing monthly overtime reports.
- preparing annual salary and benefits budgets for all divisions and providing monthly variance analyses of actual salary expenses vs. budgets.
- coordinating the administration of the PIPSC/Public Service pension and benefit plans (PSHCP, Dental, Supplementary Death Benefit and LTD) for the President and Vice-Presidents.
- preparing T4A’s for scholarship recipients, Long Service Retirement Annuity recipients and PIPSC members receiving dues refunds.
- verifying the Accounts Receivable batches; preparing recurring and or adjusting monthly journal entries.
The successful bilingual candidate will have completed a two-year diploma program in professional accounting, completion of Canadian Payroll Association certification and a minimum of two years’ experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Also required are: knowledge of accounting principles and practices including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), knowledge of the methods, techniques, and requirements of basic accounting functions, understanding of automated financial and word processing systems, ability to process an entire payroll cycle according to payroll legislation, collective bargaining and contractual agreements as well as applicable federal and provincial statutory deductions, ability to provide verify and maintain accounts ability to assist in the preparation of financial statements, ability to understand and interpret requests from Institute auditors and to provide information, clarification and reports to auditors and ability to extrapolate date and prepare reports, spreadsheets and other documents.
The Salary: $62,509 to $78,138 (G4)
Applications, making reference to competition 19/22 and complete with curriculum vitae, should be submitted by 4:00 p.m., April 24, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Payroll: 2 years (Required)