Position Summary Reporting to the Support Services Manager and/or designate the Cook 1 is responsible for the daily preparation of all foods for residents, guests and employees from an assigned menu, ensures safe food handling methods are followed, maintenance of a safe & sanitary workplace and inventory control.
Responsibilities Include but not limited to;
1. To prepare and / or be responsible for the preparation / delivery of all foods for residents, guests and employees
2. To review menus and production sheets before preparing
3. To ensure use of proper food handling techniques
4. To complete daily temperature audits for fridge, freezers and storerooms and record findings on daily audit form.
5. To prepare and serve foods for therapeutic / specialty diets according to planned menus
6. To make menu substitutions as necessary and record these in the designated place.
7. To adhere to time schedules for service of meals and nourishments
8. To follow daily production charts, standardized recipes and daily composite menus, while working within a set budget
9. To participate actively in planning /preparing special occasion and theme meal days.
10. To attend department and facility staff meetings, in – services and other necessary training sessions
11. To be aware of the Resident Rights & Responsibilities and endeavor to respect and promote it.
12. To uphold and promote the organization’s values and philosophy relating particularly to ethics, morality and integrity as set out in Retirement Concepts Code of Conduct
13. Practices and maintains cleanliness and sanitation according to required standards set by the Health Department and the Facility.
14. Assists in organizational planning related to Food Services by providing input and participating in the implementation of menus, schedules and other initiatives to ensure a high standard of Food Services.
15. Promotes and maintains positive communication and relationships among management, staff, residents and the public.
16. Performs all other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications 1. Grade 12; or equivalent.
2. Must possess a Food Handler’s Certificate
3. Red Seal Certificate preferred
4. Must have experience in large quantity food preparation, preferably in a healthcare or retirement setting
5. Must be knowledgeable of the Provincial Food Premises regulation and Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating
6. Must have knowledge of and experience with special and therapeutic diets
7. Minimum of 3-4 years culinary experience in hotels, restaurants or institutions required.
8. Food Safe Certificate - Level 2 preferred.
9. Serving it Right certification an asset.
10. Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards.
11. Some supervisory experience preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. An aptitude toward detail and creativity.
2. Demonstrate good planning and organizational skills and ability to delegate.
3. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position and operate related equipment.
4. Ability to develop and maintain harmonious relationship with all levels of personnel and residents.
5. Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision
6. Ability to read and write the English language in order to function appropriately within a kitchen environment (recipes, food audits, etc).
7. Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
8. Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience when working with staff and residents.
9. Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements and portion sizes.
10. Sufficient manual dexterity of and in order to use all kitchen utensils and equipment, i.e. knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.
11. Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry 50 lbs repetitively.