APEX Surgical- Centre for Oral + Facial Surgery is a Maxillofacial surgery clinic which specializes in the practice of full scope oral and maxillofacial surgery. With expertise ranging from wisdom tooth removal and dental implant surgery to corrective jaw surgery, management of facial deformities and traumatic facial injuries. The surgicenter will provide anesthesia services ranging from procedural sedation to general anesthesia (in conjunction with a medical anesthetist) to maximize patient comfort and safety. We aim to provide the highest level of oral, facial and implant surgical services to patients in Kamloops and surrounding area.
Reporting to the Office Manager, the Receptionist is a key member of the clinic team and plays an important role in the daily operations by acting as the front-line ambassador, providing exceptional customer service to patients, and supporting the effective flow of patients through the clinic.
- Acts as the ambassador and first connection with patients and families; creates a warm and welcoming environment in the reception area and ensures patients and families are greeted and feel valued.
- Ensures the waiting and reception area is clean, tidy and organized.
- Registers new patients in accordance with office protocols.
- Assists patients with completion of medical forms and documents such as medical history, personal information and insurance information. Informs patients of surgical office procedures and policies, verifies and updates patient information such as NPO status.
- Moves patients through appointments as scheduled, reminds clinical teams of time checks throughout the day and ensures communication occurs between clinical teams.
- Enters patient information into database system, maintains and manages patient records in compliance with privacy and security requirements.
- Provides information on financial plan options, takes payments for services, prepares and mails billing statements.
- Schedules and confirms follow up appointments in accordance with the practice’s procedures and guidelines; assists with booking last minute patient appointments when cancellations and no-shows occur.
- Contacts referral sources to follow up on patient information as required; responds and complies to requests for information from other health care providers or patients.
- Arranges referrals to other medical specialists as required.
- Dispatches lab work in accordance with procedures.
- Provides general administration support such as preparing correspondence, updating patient education materials, setting up procedures, answering phone calls, sort and distribute mail, and maintaining files.
- Performs other related duties as required.
High school graduation, plus related courses such as Medical Office Assistant or administration courses. A minimum of two year’s recent, related experience, preferably in a professional medical clinic, surgical centre, and/or health care setting. An equivalent combination of education, skills and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and relationship building skills with proven diplomacy. Possesses a friendly, warm and inviting personality.
- Possesses high standards of professional conduct.
- Strong ethical standards and ability to safeguard patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal, written and organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Experience with efficient office organization, including establishing and maintaining patient medical charts and electronic and paper files.
- Able to perform multiple tasks, balance priorities and meet deadlines without close supervision. Adaptable to respond to the needs of the surgical centre.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and medical billing requirements.
- Able to work independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Takes initiative and has a high level of ambition; motivated.
- High proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Internet Explorer.
This position will be hired as temporary until return of incumbent, with possibility of permanency.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- Medical Office Assistant: 2 years (Required)