A small, privately operated, senior's assisted living care home in Courtenay is looking to hire a Care Aide. The home has six seniors who have a variety of needs such as: medication disbursements, food preparation, laundry, and bathing assistance.
A small dog and cat live at the home.
Please submit your resume and cover letter and you will be contacted back to arrange a time to meet. You can address your cover letter to Evelyn Carruthers.
There are morning shifts and evening shifts. On rare occasion staff have been asked if they can stay for a night.
The bare minimum availability you must have is for four 6.25 hour shifts per week, and one or two shifts every second weekend.
Wages for a Care Aide:
The hourly pay rate is $18 per hour for the first year, $19 per hour moving forwards.
Qualifications required for a successful Care Aide:
1) Long term care assistant certificate (such as http://www.nic.bc.ca/program/health_care_assistant ). Another name for this type of skill set is a "Residential Care Aide".
Alternatives could be students of a nursing program (such as http://www.nic.bc.ca/program/practical_nursing_diploma ). Equivalent experience may be considered.
2) First Aid certificate (such as "Emergency First Aid - Community Care" through "St. John Ambulance").
3) FoodSafe certificate (such as http://www.nic.bc.ca/continuingeducation/searchforcourses.aspx?type=ALL&campus=ALL&search=TFS-010 ).
4) You can pass a criminal record check.
5) You can pass a test for Tuberculosis.
6) You have professional (or at least personal) references which can be contacted (please include these in your application).
It is essential that you have good interpersonal communications skills, and that you can relate well with elderly people and their families. Also, good cooking and baking skills will be an asset. You must be physically fit to the extent that you can perform basic household cleaning, and you must be able to work unsupervised.
The law requires that your certifications be up to date, so please send scans (or at least good photographs from your camera/phone) of those with your application. Providing all of the information outlined above will be the first demonstration of your ability to follow directions.
If you have a disability and you think you could still perform the duties listed above safely, please feel free to submit your application. Applicants will be reviewed based on their education, experience, and ability to do the job.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $18.00 to $19.00 /hour