Responsible for eliciting, analyzing, specifying, and validating the business needs of project stakeholders. Interviews stakeholders to gather and compile user requirements to convey to development teams throughout the software lifecycle. Apply analytical and problem-solving skills to support the development process, and to ensure that project deliverables adhere to established specifications.
- Collaborate with project managers and sponsors to determine the scope and vision of the project.
- Identify project stakeholders and establish user classes and their characteristics.
- Conduct in-depth Interviews with project sponsors to gather their user requirements, identify potential strengths and weaknesses, and provide a solution.
- Identify and establish the scope and parameters of requirements analysis on a project-by-project basis to define project impact, outcome criteria, and metrics.
- Work with stakeholders and the project team to prioritize collected requirements.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing requirement gathering processes.
- Gather and compile information on hardware and software products that meet predetermined specifications.
- Analyze and verify requirements for completeness, consistency, comprehensibility, feasibility, and conformity to standards.
- Write business cases.
- Utilize standardized templates to write requirement specifications.
- Translate and promote conceptual user requirements into functional requirements that are comprehensible to developers and the project team.
- Develop prototypes of interfaces and attributes based on user requirements.
- Develop and conduct peer reviews of business requirements to ensure that the requirement specifications are correctly interpreted.
- Communicate changes, enhancements, and modifications of business requirements to project managers, sponsors, and other stakeholders.
- Provide training to others when new business processes are implemented.
- Provide expertise to clients with respect to the objectives of business process design.
- Liaise with vendors and suppliers in assessing applications and systems under consideration for purchase.
- Complete estimates of time and resources required for the implementation and analysis of new processes.
- Conduct cost-benefit analysis which may involve complex calculations of service levels and benefits including present value calculations, mean and standard deviation, and estimating business volumes.
- Facilitate meetings with project stakeholders and collaborators.
- Remain current with frequent updates and changes to technology.
- No formal supervision of others is required.
- Occasionally provides orientation and shows procedures to others.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business, or related field.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Experience developing business process maps and other methods of communicating business processes to non-technical team members and project stakeholders
Demonstrated ability to develop meaningful training materials that are suitable to end users with a variety of technical expertise and leading effective training sessions to a variety of stakeholders, both one-on-one and in small groups.
Demonstrated high degree of problem-solving abilities and must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
Excellent analytical and communication skills
Experience in and providing customer support for complex procedures that are often technical.
Experience with continuous improvement processes and implementing changes to business processes.
Strong leadership skills and a positive attitude as well as demonstrated flexibility in multi-tasking deadline driven work environment
Playing an active role in the implementation of a project across an educational institution
Previous experience and knowledge of university graduate admissions and records requirements
Specific analytical support for university partners including Institutional Research and Analysis, the Registrar’s Office and all graduate programs.
Produce required and necessary reports for multiple constituents and ensure accuracy.
Proven ability to complete work in accordance to departmental priorities and service requests and demonstrated flexibility in a multitasking deadline oriented environment
Demonstrated high degree of problem solving abilities and must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
Excellent analytical and communication skills
Experience in producing business process documents and providing customer support for complex procedures that are often technical.
Demonstrated experience working with teams across an educational institution and providing timely updates and responses.
Demonstrated ability to efficiently complete tasks, provide regular updates and ensure timely project completion.
Experience in providing continuous improvement – recommend new tasks and processes and create efficiencies and increase effectiveness. Continuously apply information, adapt to new processes and responsibilities and demonstrate initiative to seek out opportunities for improvement.
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and, within the lands protected by the “Dish with One Spoon” wampum agreement.
In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of visible minorities, and LGBTQ+ persons. Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247) or the Faculty of Health Sciences Human Resources office at ext. 22207 to communicate accommodation needs.