Data. Discovery. Better Health.
We’ve got the data. Only the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences holds all of Ontario’s 18 billion health related records – comprised of nearly a trillion data points!
We’ve made improvements to health. As a world-leading research institute, our trusted evidence changes policy and practice…and patient lives.
We need you for the discovery part.
Your skills, knowledge and curiosity can change the future of health care.
Come discover your value.
Reporting to Legal Counsel, the Paralegal works as part of the ICES Privacy and Legal Office. The Paralegal has primary day-to-day responsibility for the establishment of data sharing agreements for the collection of Project-Specific Data (DSAs) and related record-keeping. In addition, the Paralegal co-ordinates processes to support the effective identification and management of ICES’ privacy and compliance obligations under DSAs, and privacy and compliance review of other contracts.
Responsibilities of the position include, but may not be limited to:
1. Primary day-to-day responsibility for coordinating the generation, review, revision, finalization and execution of DSAs and the review of contracts by the Privacy and Legal Office;
2. Co-ordinate processes to identify and manage ICES’ privacy and compliance obligations under DSAs and contracts, including but not limited to permissions and reporting requirements;
3. Maintain filing and tracking systems to support all of the above; create transparency across ICES regarding the status of DSAs, and enable associated reporting;
4. Ensure timely communication and service to external and internal stakeholders;
5. Establish and maintain productive, professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including Strategic Partnerships and Procurement;
6. In all of the above, work in close collaboration with Privacy Analysts, Legal Counsel and other members of the Privacy and Legal Office;
7. Contribute to the development and continuous improvement of policies, procedures and systems to support contract review, establishment of DSAs, and effective management of ICES’ associated privacy and compliance obligations;
8. Participate effectively in ICES committees and meetings, as required;
9. Other duties as assigned within the scope of this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
· Bachelor degree (in administration, health, public sector, policy or related field would be an asset)
· Paralegal Certificate from an LSO accredited program
· Membership in the Law Society of Ontario
· Three years’ experience in contract management or research administration;
· Three years’ demonstrated experience in working closely and communicating effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders;
· Experience in an academic or research environment would be an asset;
· High-level familiarity with the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004, SO 2004, c 3, Sch A, and its regulation, particularly as it relates to Prescribed Entities;
· Demonstrated understanding of customer service and contract management requirements;
· Experience working in a high-volume, timeline & metrics-oriented environment, with multiple competing stakeholders and compliance requirements at play.
· Exceptional administrative, analytical and problem-solving skills;
· Strong client management skills;
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
· Ability to communicate with multiple stakeholders (IT users, legal and privacy professionals and scientists) to create agreements that align data and science needs with legal requirements;
· Strong process management skills with the ability to handle multiple vendors and multiple contracts as well as a wide range of tasks in a high-volume setting;
· Proficient technical knowledge and process support skills, including but not limited to the following products: Word (Review Ribbon), Excel (creating custom functions), and Outlook. Experience using Cobblestone Systems Software would be an asset.
This position is a full-time opportunity located at ICES Central in Toronto.
ICES offers a competitive compensation package with full benefits, and participation in a defined benefit pension plan with HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan).
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter detailing how their knowledge, skills, and abilities match the scope of this position to the attention of:
Human Resources Department
Please quote job# PRC-19-04
We thank all applicants for their interest in working at ICES. Due to the volume of applications received, only applicants being considered for the position will be contacted for further discussions.
Reference ID: PRC-19-04
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent