This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months.
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is dedicated to a constructive, team-orientated environment, gathering varied perspectives, sharing knowledge, and building effective partnerships that enable our partners to achieve their goals by advising, providing solutions, and delivering service excellence in alignment with the University’s mission and goals. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Web Team, the Senior Developer and Analyst is responsible for undertaking assignments related to the implementation, operation and upgrading of web applications in support of university wide strategic initiatives.
- Implement and upgrade major web applications, components and templates used by the University’s web content management system, provide web design expertise to web team staff and to a variety of projects.
- Analyze application code and software versions to ensure compatibility with the web content management system.
- Support and patch major web applications, developing standards and best practices.
- Implement, maintain and upgrade the ancillary applications supporting the main administrative applications, such as search utilities and reporting tools.
- Provide expert advice on security and privacy implications pertaining to web applications and services.
- Support, lend expertise and occasionally guide other web team members, and foster effective communication between the web team and the content and creative teams on issues relating to the public website.
Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related field, with approximately five years’ of senior technical development experience focused on public facing web technologies (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Experience with Java application development and Adobe Experience Manager is preferred. Proven “front-end” web development experience is an asset. Experience with Java Script CSS and other modern web tools required. Strong working knowledge of various development methodologies (Agile, Scrum, etc.) is required. Excellent analytical, problem solving, communication, team work and organizational skills required. Demonstrated ability to translate business requirements into suitable technical solutions
Job Competencies Additional Information
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Bargaining unit employees for NSGEU local 77 are given first consideration and will be notified regarding the status of their application. All other applicants will be considered when there is no qualified internal candidate.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.