Reporting to the Supervisor, Transit Safety and Training, is responsible for developing, implementing and delivering the York Region Transit (YRT) Conventional Safety and Training Program, and for ensuring that contractors operating the Conventional and Viva services, under a Performance Based Contract, are in compliance with all safety and training under Federal, Provincial and local by-laws, standards and regulations.
- Leads the Conventional Operations group in the development of plans pertaining to YRT’s driver Safety and Training Program.
- Oversees contract compliance within the area of safety and training.
- Determines the training requirements needed under the Performance Based Contract through the process of data collection and analysis and the tracking of accident trends.
- Oversees the compilation of data required to calculate the results of the Contractor’s Report Card and performance incentive and disincentives.
- Researches technology, legislated training requirements and individual and group training plans.
- Conducts and/or participates in needs assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of programs and services.
- Reviews and monitors daily service disruptions and vehicle exceptions and recommends changes for the continued safe transport of customers.
- Responds to service incident investigations, completes routine forms, photographs, records and reports, as required.
- Audits the training and performance of the Operations and Maintenance Contractors, as outlined in the performance based contracts, and makes recommendations of change and/or improvement.
- Monitors and assesses the ongoing education and annual re-training services for targeted responders and instructors.
- Liaises with and maintains effective working relationships with stakeholders including public, consultants, contractors and their staff, suppliers, other municipalities and Regional staff regarding training and safety, best practices etc.
- Leads and co-ordinates other area specific transit training/performance studies or special projects, as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet Branch and Department objectives.
- Successful completion of a Community College Diploma Program in Business Administration, Transit Planning, Social Science, Adult Education or related discipline or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be a qualified instructor under the Professional Instructor in Driver Education (PRIDE) or the Infrastructure Health and Safety Association (IHSA) Fleet Driver Trainer Program and CUTA Ambassador.
- Must have Ministry of Transportation Signing Authority.
- Must be a qualified airbrake instructor.
- Valid Ontario Class “B” driver's license with “Z” endorsement and free of any demerit points under the Highway Traffic Act.
- Minimum three (3) years experience with the development, implementation and leadership of transit training for Commercial “BZ” vehicles.
- Satisfactory Police Criminal Background Check.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, including evenings and weekends, as required.
- Knowledge of appropriate Legislation, Acts and Standards as they relate to transit driving and safety, commercial vehicles registration systems, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online by January 27, 2020. We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.