Magna International Corporate Office
At Magna, we create technology that disrupts the industry and solves big problems for consumers, our customers, and the world around us. We’re the only mobility technology company and supplier with complete expertise across the entire vehicle.
We are committed to quality and continuous improvement because our products impact millions of people every day. But we’re more than what we make. We are a group of entrepreneurial-minded people whose collective expertise gives us a competitive advantage. World Class Manufacturing is a journey and it’s our talented people who lead us on this journey.
The Category Manager position is responsible for developing and implementing the regional supply base strategies for their categories, ensuring that the strategy is specific, fact-based, comprehensive, consistent, well-communicated and delivers superior financial returns and a competitive advantage to the business. In addition, the Category Manager ensures that the strategy developed is dynamic and responsive to the market, customer, supplier, and company needs. This individual has primary responsibility for the supplier relationship and drives supplier selection, development, and overall supplier management. The Category Manager works with the Group Purchasing Leads to ensure a shared vision and alignment with overall business objectives. Key Responsibilities
- Develops procurement strategy and sourcing in terms of technology, quality, delivery and total cost.
- Coordinates all supplier issues with applicable functional organizations.
- Establishes and manages key supplier performance goals and objectives; communicates periodic results to plan and manage top-level continuous improvement; develops keen awareness of industry performance benchmarks.
- Manages and negotiates supply agreements in support of overall supply chain goals and objectives.
- Keeps abreast of professional developments and manufacturing techniques.
- Initiates/leads/participates in annual cost reduction and other value improvement projects.
- Coordinates supplier development with applicable functional organizations.
- Responsible for supplier recommendation on a commodity basis and work with the divisional buyers to implement these sourcing recommendations.
- Researches for key commodities/products to support the global and local requirements
- Coordinates with production and new products buying functions to integrate common suppliers/technology.
- Assists in the supplier development process to ensure success internally/externally.
- Maintains continuous in-depth knowledge of market conditions, industry trends, and developing techniques.
- Will initiate, recommend, or provide solutions through designated channels.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. Key Qualifications/Requirements
Knowledge and Education
Engineering or Business Degree required.
Thorough understanding of utility rate structures in North America is required.
Minimum 5 years purchasing experience for a large multi-plant enterprise.
Experience in energy purchasing, specifically electricity and natural gas, in both deregulated and regulated markets would be beneficial.
Experience purchasing steel, aluminum, logistics, supplies, services and scrap metal collection and sales would be an asset.
Skills and Competencies
- Works on extremely complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and may supervise the activities of lower level staff.
- Interprets and complies with Company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Prepares reports, cost analysis, charts, graphs, and other statistical information.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Additional Information
Normal amount of sitting or standing, average mobility to move around an office environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer, may require travel.
Candidates will be required to complete a Criminal Records Check and, if deemed necessary, a Credit Check as part of the candidate selection process.
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.