Please submit a cover letter with your application - applicants who do not submit a cover letter will be rejected. Tell us about you and why we should select you to interview for this role.
We’re looking for an ambitious and passionate team leader to join our Coverage team in Edmonton, AB. As a Real-Time Coverage Analyst Manager, you will lead a team using human curation to support our AI-first approach to alerts - curating, editing and enhancing events in real time.
Who we are
Samdesk is a global disruption monitoring tool that delivers real-time crisis alerts powered by AI. We make sense of the world’s most valuable real-time data sources with the purpose of creating a safer world. Samdesk was founded in 2013 and is proudly headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, with offices in Toronto, Ontario, and London, England. We are a growing team of dreamers and builders, supporting customers around the world. Check us out! www.samdesk.io
Who you are:
- You have experience in dealing with developing crisis situations - either in breaking news, crisis alerts, corporate security, or intelligence environments.
- You have at least two years experience of managing and coaching teams, and delivering results
- You are a team player, comfortable working collaboratively in real time with colleagues in the room or online.
- You are confident in learning, using and troubleshooting online tools and processes.
- You are a skilled multi-tasker who is able to track several events at once and work in a busy environment, responding to developments in the moment.
- You take responsibility for maintaining attention to detail while working at a fast pace.
- You don’t require a ‘playbook’ to get things done, and you would describe yourself as a self-starter.
- You are eager to take on multiple roles, execute on tight timelines and work with a diverse group of individuals.
- You have enthusiasm for all your projects and a willingness to be flexible and adapt to get the job done right.
What you’ll do:
The successful candidate will join our real-time coverage team and report to our Head of Real-Time Coverage.
- You’ll be responsible for the quality of our data output (alerts, content, information), and ensuring that what customers see is timely and relevant.
- You’ll manage a small but growing team in your timezone, and take seriously the need for your colleagues to have the tools and training they need to meet samdesk’s high standards.
- You’ll help us to understand which events are of higher impact and relevance to our customers, and use your experience and judgement to prioritize.
- You’ll be responsible for collecting information in real time, verifying it, and building out the breadth and depth of our clients’ understanding of events, utilizing journalistic approaches and principles.
- You’ll support the development of client-specific feeds and resources to ensure customers get the best possible experience.
- You’ll contribute to shared resources to improve our content and information discovery processes and foster collaboration on the team.
- You’ll inform the rest of the team, in real time, on what’s happening, what they can expect, and how our customers might be impacted by it.
- A degree in journalism, political science, digital humanities, commerce, or demonstrable relevant experience.
- Direct experience in preparing real-time reports or analysis, social media or breaking news.
- Five plus years of working in a team. Two plus years in a management/team leadership position.
Bonus points if you have:
- Worked in the corporate security or intelligence industries
- Worked in a newsroom or OSINT environment
- Additional language capabilities
What’s in it for you?
- Work with a committed and passionate team of innovators at one of Edmonton’s fastest growing startups
- We view this role as a career building opportunity as you’ll work with cross functional teams and the world’s most notable brands, selling a life saving solution
- Competitive compensation and a great health benefits package (including dental, vision, prescriptions, massage, chiro, physio, etc.)
- Opportunity to participate in our employee stock option plan
- A seat on the rocket ship - buckle up!
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Management: 2 years (required)