Currently, Malatest is looking for a Research Assistant to support our Victoria office location.
Malatest is one of Canada’s largest independently owned and operated social research companies with five offices located in Victoria, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, and Halifax.
Malatest research professionals are recognized nationally for the successful execution of research methods and for producing quality outcomes on the wide variety of research projects our company completes.
As a Research Assistant, you would support the completion of assigned research tasks and projects from inception to completion by contributing to the step-by-step research processes with an attention to detail.
This position offers dynamic and continuous learning for emerging research skills within a social research organization. If you are looking for an opportunity to diversify your learning and experience in a wide range of social research areas, this position would be of interest to you. Our current areas of applied research: health, education, employment and labour market, as well as transportation studies.
- Supports researchers by providing all of the necessary information required for effective project management and timely communications;
- Collaborates on a wide range of activities from research design through to the development of project management tools, and data collection methodologies;
- Engages in the development of data collection tools;
- Participates in the launch and implementation of research projects by supporting project management through assigned work flow, and by monitoring project hours and budgets;
- Maintains quality assurance standards through deliverables generated;
- Anticipates project challenges and contributes to resolving them;
- Supports primary and secondary research activities, and progress or project reports; and
- Contributes to the data analysis and interpretation processes, as well as reports of project findings.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Providing effective project or task management to deliver high quality results to project managers on-time and on-budget; Monitoring project budget and task hours for assigned tasks and projects;
- Planning and executing different research methods such as survey data collection, analysis, and integration of data from multiple sources; Conducting primary research activities;
- Undertaking advanced database development, sample planning and sample management, data validations and manipulation, quantitative and/or qualitative analyses and report-writing;
- Preparing preliminary drafts of research instruments and protocols, completing literature and document reviews;
- Ensuring appropriate quality control of assigned tasks, contributing to quality improvement (across projects, teams, and office locations), monitoring quality of data collection processes;
- Producing well written reports that clearly communicate project methodologies, assessed evidence, and research findings (clearly and concisely) to a variety of audiences;
- Effectively communicating and supporting the completion of project deliverable requirements; and preparing the presentation of the studies outcomes.
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics or the social sciences (e.g., sociology, psychology, or related discipline), Master’s degree, preferred.
- 1 to 2 years of applied research work experience in a professional, client-focused environment with responsibility for organizing logistics and communications, preferred.
A Malatest Research Assistant will be expected to demonstrate:
- The principles of research;
- Research design and methodology;
- Quantitative and qualitative data collection, coding, cleaning, and analysis preparation;
- Proficient use of MS Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, PowerPoint);
- Statistical programs (e.g., SPSS, R, STATA); and
- Qualitative analysis programs (e.g. NVivo)
- Strong writing skills with the ability to clearly communicate complex concepts.
- Ability to manage time and tasks in order to self-monitor and work collaboratively with others.
- High level of knowledge in complex data management, economic or statistical analysis, advanced database design, research methods and methodology, evaluation frameworks, and appropriate research process best practices.
- As a condition of employment, high level integrity for private information must be maintained. Successful candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and obtain security clearances required with the Industrial Security Directorate Division of Public Works and Government Services.
Malatest is a fast-paced, consistently changing, dynamic work environment. This position will support multiple projects simultaneously, under the pressure of deadlines.
All staff may be required to use, lift, and sometimes carry standard office equipment of 10 to 20 lbs. Work in the office, requires sitting for long periods of time with extensive use of a computer. Advanced computer skills will be required
Hours of Work: Full-time (40 hours per week); Schedules may vary based on project requirements; Flexibility to work other hours and/or overtime, as required.
Salary Range: $42,500 annual salary ($20.00 per hour) based on experience and qualifications.
How to Apply?
Submit a cover letter, resume, and application form to Ms. Pamela Toovey, CPHR of Human Resources. Please quote a preferred office location and the competition number RAM-19AB. No calls please.
Job Type: Full-time