Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary.
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our eight health and wellness locations, seven child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!
General Manager, Marketing and Communications (Full Time)
Association Services (Located within Grey Family Eau Claire YMCA)
$60,797.00/year - $75,996.00/year
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
- Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children;
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits. Premiums paid in full by the Association;
- Pension plan with specified contribution matching by the Association;
- Anniversary flex day and gifts given to celebrate each year of employment;
- Program discounts;
- Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
- Leadership award opportunities;
- Scholarship opportunities;
- Paid recertification and training.
What qualifications are we looking for?
We strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum 5-7 years progressively responsible experience in marketing and communications, including minimum 3 years supervisory experience - exposure to not-for-profit sector is valuable;
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in communications, marketing or other related field;
- A professional, relationship-based and service-oriented approach;
- Ability to work confidently and efficiently in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, Premier Elements, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office and/or lead others working with these tools;
- Ability to approach a marketing or communications challenge strategically, ensuring each implementation meets the needs of the project but also the wider Association’s developed strategy;
- Experience in brand management and activation including design, writing and editing;
- Demonstrated leadership in digital communications strategy and execution;
- Self-motivated, shows initiative and is able to work well and provide positive leadership in a busy team environment;
- Proven ability to partner with and influence individuals at all levels and across functions;
- Experience and interest in health, fitness and/or recreation is preferred;
- Evidence of a clear Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search;
- Three professional references.
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
The General Manager, Marketing and Communications will:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of the annual marketing and communications plan and calendar for the Association;
- Lead effective marketing and communications responses to Association-wide business needs including supporting membership and program marketing and supporting fund development activities;
- Ensure consistency of brand, voice and messaging across the Association, including acting as Association Brand Lead;
- Share current marketing and communications best practices as an advisor throughout the Association;
- Work closely with leaders and teams from across the YMCA to identify, develop, and distribute key messages and build function specific content for internal and external audiences;
- Develop and implement a deliberate external relations plan encompassing traditional and social media, stakeholder engagement;
- Oversee development and maintenance of YMCA Calgary’s web and digital presence, including website, mobile app and other digital marketing tools;
- Supervise the marketing and communications department to ensure deadlines and deliverables are on time and on budget;
- Assist with the development and implementation of Association special events;
- Identify and implement communications measurement systems and monitor and report the ROI for various campaigns and strategies in a spirit of continuous improvement.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
- Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
- Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
- Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
- Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
- Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
- Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
- Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
For any concerns or questions please contact Cassandra Petrovic, Recruitment Manager,