Chandos is an innovative and collaborative construction company, 100% employee owned and proud to be the first and largest B Corp certified commercial general contractor in North America.
Along with being on the leading-edge in our industry, we also invest in our people, encourage their growth and support them in reaching their full potential. Because when our employees are at their best, they help move our entire organization forward – this is at the heart of the Chandos philosophy.
The Apprentice is responsible for constructing and maintaining buildings. Required knowledge includes: construction and remodelling trades, practices, procedures, techniques, tools and equipment, materials, specifications, quality control, cost control and safety.
- Lay building foundations.
- Plan the sequence of operation for the task.
- Prefabrication, erection, and removal of structural formwork for concrete foundations, wall columns, beams, slabs, and shafts, including re-shoring.
- Make repairs to the internal and external structure
- Cement work including: mix and pour material and pouring cement for stairs, and framing for cement
- Assemble and fasten materials to make framework or props, using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins or glue.
- Assist with the delivery of other related municipal services.
- Prepare a preventative maintenance schedule.
- Construct and maintain structural woodwork, shelving, flooring, tables, chairs, etc.
- Perform renovations as required
The Requirements (Minimum Qualifications):
- Construction and remodelling trades, practices, procedures, techniques, tools and equipment, materials, specifications, quality control, cost control and safety
- Currently indentured into an Apprenticeship Program, Carpenter.
- Two or more years of experience as a carpenter
- Currently working in the trade
- Knowledge of carpentry and building maintenance
- Knowledge of safe operation of basic hand and power tools
- Knowledge of workplace safety, and safe lifting and handling procedures
- Mathematical and analytical skills necessary to do material and labour estimates
The Preferred Qualifications:
- Collaborative in dealing with customers and fellow employees
- Proactive in ensuring job knowledge is current
- Able to communicate effectively with superintendent, co-workers and customers
- Good client service and public interaction skills
- Good time-management skills
- Able to read building specifications, blueprints and as-builds
- Able to draw appropriate sketches to communicate details to team members and others
The Chandos Advantage:
- 100% employee owned
- Competitive compensation and bonus
- Strong benefits package
- Substantial vacation time
- Stable work-life balance
- Training, education and development opportunities
- Employee appreciation events
- Supportive culture
- A healthy and positive work environment
- Perks through our strategic partners
In order to extend our One Chandos culture, we may occasionally request that select employees travel or relocate to other districts for growth opportunities or as business needs arise.
We appreciate your interest in working with us; however, only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Chandos is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Carpentry: 3 years (preferred)
- Drivers License (required)
Willingness to travel: