Title: Marketing and Communications Specialist
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Communications
Calgary Opera’s Vision: Calgary Opera aspires to be a leader in the opera field, known for its intensive collaboration with arts organizations of all sizes, a thoughtful balance of traditional classics and more alternative works, and a mix of larger-scale and smaller artistic projects. The company will rely on a network of diverse sources to recruit artistic and operational talent, with a strong commitment to develop and showcase top Canadian talent.
Calgary Opera’s Mission: Calgary Opera serves our entire community with innovative and inspiring operas in a multitude of forms and venues, and through educational activities and the training of young Canadian artists, while developing our people and managing our operations in a fiscally sound and efficient manner.
Calgary Opera’s Mandate: Calgary Opera is dedicated to:
- Promoting interest, awareness, and attendance of the operatic art form
- Presenting classic and contemporary operas, and other musical entertainments, at an extremely high performance standard
- Training and development of high-potential emerging artists
- The recruitment, development, and presentation of exceptionally talented performers, composers, librettists, directors, and designers, with emphasis on Canadian talent
- Childhood education and exposure to opera
- Telling Canadian stories through new works
The Marketing and Communications Specialist is a key member of the marketing team who has a high-level understanding of organizational priorities and the ability to distill them into effective messaging for a variety of stakeholders on various traditional and digital paid and organic platforms. They also play a key role in the execution of market segmentation, digital advertising, analytics, communications, and campaign measurement strategies, as well as the day-to-day management of the website, e-mail marketing, digital analytics and social media channels. The Marketing and Communications Specialist is specifically responsible and accountable for content creation (photo, video, and copy), social media community management, paid marketing fulfilment, marketing partnership fulfillment and direct e-mail marketing.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist is a mid-level role within the Marketing, and Communications team, working directly with stakeholders and other team members across the organization to ensure adherence to best practices in executing strategies in sales, marketing, communications and customer service that deliver a consistent and unified brand experience.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist will also cultivate strong relationships with community stakeholders including advertising partners, vendors, artists, crew, venue staff, software providers, the board of directors, and patrons and develop strategic and effective marketing partnerships that support the goals of the Marketing and Communications team in alignment with Calgary Opera’s overall business and strategic objectives.
- At least three years’ experience in a marketing or communications role
- Expert communications skills, especially writing web, e-mail and marketing copy
- Expert knowledge of best practices for professional social media community management
- Advanced graphic design skills, including the use of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Proven project management skills
- Video production and editing skills
- Photography and photo editing skills
- Web and graphic design skills are considered an asset
- Knowledge of Tessitura or CRM systems practices
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the Director of Marketing & Communications, implement the Marketing and Communications strategy at Calgary Opera for all productions and educational programs
- Provide input and expertise in the creation of the Marketing and Communications digital strategy based on marketing data and analytics
- Manage all aspects of Calgary Opera’s digital communications, including the website, e-mail marketing, and social media channels.
- Produce regular, timely, high quality digital content that drives interest, consideration, and ultimately conversion
- Working with the Director of Marketing, assist in managing and tracking budgets
- Work with external suppliers such as writers, photographer, and videographers to ensure high quality representation of our brand as well as clarity and accuracy
- Engage with community marketing partners
- Other duties, as required
Knowledge and Skills
- Expert professional e-mail and social media communications skills
- Intermediate graphic design skills (including proficiency in Adobe InDesign)
- Basic HTML and website management
- Writing and editing for marketing and professional communications
- Publication management including working with designers, printers and distribution vendors
- Media and stakeholder relations
- Photography, videography and graphic design skills
- Advertising including print, outdoor, broadcast, and digital
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Knowledge of Tessitura or CRM systems an asset
Measurements of Success
- Provide marketing campaign deliverables on time and on budget
- Provide management with final reports/summary of strategy objectives on a timely basis
- Reduce outside consultant fees incurred for marketing campaigns
- High rate of customer service satisfaction
- Marketing campaigns achieve sales target
Commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Tessitura Software: 1 year (Preferred)
- Marketing: 3 years (Required)