Position title: Catering & Conferences Offsite Event Lead
Department: Catering & Conferences
Reports to: Catering & Conferences Operations Manager
Employee status: Hourly, permanent
Hours per week: 37.5, Monday to Friday beginning between 6am and 8am, or Tuesday to Saturday beginning between 6am and 8am
About the AMS:
The Alma Mater Society of UBC is a non-profit organization that is committed to serving the student body of UBC. We operate out of the NEST building located right in the heart of the Point Grey Campus. We run 9 food establishments and a Conferences & Catering operation, which generate revenue to support our student programs and initiatives.
The Conference & Catering Off-site Event Lead is responsible for the successful execution of AMS Conference & Catering (C&C) operations through the planning, coordination and delivery of C&C events, including the supervision of part-time C&C staff. While the majority of catered events are off-site deliveries and the majority of conference services are in-house, this role requires a self-motivated individual with excellent leadership and organizational skills to ensure timely and professional catering service to our internal and external clients. The ideal candidate has superior customer service and time management skills. They are a team player with good communication skills yet can work well independently.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and prepares next day off-site and on-site events and ensures cleanliness of relevant areas, including set-up and tear-down of rooms according to client specifications which includes, but is not limited to, moving tables, chairs, setting A/V equipment, buffet tables, tent cards, etc
- Provides excellent customer service through liaising with clients to ensure order verification and professional and courteous service
- Prepares, loads and safely stores Food & Beverage items, equipment and supplies in the AMS catering vehicle(s)
- Responsible for the execution of catering/banquet functions and assists management team with the execution of larger events
- Supervises and directs C&C Associates in the planning and execution of catering and conference events
- Assists the C&C management team in human resources related tasks such as, but not limited to, training, and scheduling of C&C part-time staff
- Liaises and co-ordinates with AMS sales team to ensure a seamless guest experience Adheres to all AMS policies and procedures, as well as other entity regulations like Food Safe, Liquor Control & Licensing, Worksafe, etc
- Ensures the professional assembly and presentation of all food & beverage items during events
- Maintains the cleanliness of the AMS catering vehicles by vacuuming and wiping down interiors and scheduling routine maintenance such as oil changes as required
- Actively promotes AMS events
- Ability to work flexible hours (daytime, evenings, weekends and holidays) and on call
- Works with the AMS mission statement and values to operate a successful department
- Other duties as required
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum 2 years food and beverage supervisory roles is a requirement.
- Ability to lift up to 22 kg (48.5 lbs)
- Ability to stand for 100% of shift
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and late nights
- Ability to carry 3 plates and a tray
- Valid BC driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract
- Food Safe level 1 certification or higher
- Serving- It- Right certification
- Self-motivated with demonstrated superior skills in customer service and organization
- Strong leadership, organizational, problem-solving and time-management skills
- Detail oriented, ability to perform tasks in a timely manner and follow instructions
- Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages being an asset
- Experience with MS Office Suite an asset
Please submit a resumé and cover letter by clicking "Apply Now" below.
We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Submit your application ASAP to ensure it is recieved.
Thank you for your interest at the AMS. Due to the large volume of resumes we receive at the AMS, we are only able to contact those we are interested in interviewing and cannot reply to email/phone/walk-in inquiries regarding application status.
The AMS is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Food and Beverage supervisor: 2 years (Preferred)
- Vancouver, BC (Preferred)
- BC Drivers License (Class 5) (Preferred)
- FoodSafe Level 1 (Preferred)
- Serving It Right (Preferred)