Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
The Digital Development team within Arup’s Digital Technology Group provides the software engineering and development services needed to digitise Arup’s engineering processes and transform the way it works. We want to deliver new and better outcomes to our clients through the use of advanced software engineering and the development of innovative digital applications. The Digital Development team designs, develops and maintains both client facing applications and digital products and services used globally within Arup and/or sold commercially through the OASYS brand.
MassMotion is a world leading group of products which enables users to simulate and visualize pedestrian movement within public spaces from train stations and airports to shopping malls and sports venues. The existing software uses advanced agent based modelling techniques to assess and test designs. As the built environment generates ever-greater data from various sources and sensors, MassMotion has a greater need to interface with this new data in a seamless way.
Reporting to the MassMotion Product Director, the Data Analyst will work closely with the MassMotion core development team, the wide variety of users of the software around the globe, and external partners and clients to help develop custom data pipelines and analyses for pedestrian movement using a variety of techniques.
This role will also work closely with others in the Digital Development team, with the wider Digital Technology Group and with colleagues in business groups and engineering teams.
The post holder will be responsible for investigating data sources within the built environment (e.g. CCTV, WiFi, LIDAR) and working directly with users to provide bespoke import and visualization solutions for each data set. Main duties will include:
- Liaising with data providers and Arup domain experts to gain access to data samples
- Cleaning and transforming data to respect end-user privacy
- Using various data analytics techniques to extract key variables relating to people movement
- Working with MassMotion developers and the MassMotion Software Development Kit (SDK) to ingest data
- Keeping knowledge current through reading and conference attendance
- Potentially travelling globally to aid users on an as-needed basis
- Attending and actively participating in user forums on a regular basis and playing an active role in Arup’s skills networks and digital transformation initiatives
Requirements and skills
Essential Skills and Knowledge
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- 1-3 years relevant experience
- Experience with databases and data storage
- Experience with python and/or R
- Experience with creating data pipelines
- Interest in machine learning techniques and how they can be applied to data processing
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Great team working skills
- Experience with Kafka and Spark preferred
- Knowledge of cloud platforms (AWS, Azure)
- Experience with agent based modelling and/or transportation would be an advantage
- Degree in Mathematics, Geomatics, planning, engineering, computer science or similar preferred
- You will possess a natural curiosity for all things technical
- You will be creative and inventive in your approach to problem solving
- You enjoy working and communicating with team members with diverse skills and backgrounds
- You look for opportunities to share your skills and teach others
- You derive satisfaction in producing work to a high standard and enjoy clients placing their trust in your abilities to deliver creative solutions
Upon joining Arup your journey is likely to be varied and rewarding, giving you the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- RRSP - 100% company match up to 5-9% based on years of service
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
- Short Term and Long Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.