The Support Worker works as a member of the Hope and Area Transition Society team providing supportive counseling, education, information, and referrals to women and their children who are dealing with personal abuse.
- Provide non-judgmental, supportive, informative, counseling to residents and ensure that the residents are supported and needs are met
- Assessment of residents and/or potential clients for Society Programs, including appropriate referrals to other Programs and/or agencies to best meet the support needs of the individual.
- Provide practical and emotional support.
- Complete needs assessment to assist with goal-setting and follow-through.
- Provide information about abuse, cycles of abuse, effects and alternated choices
- Provide information about other resources and processes, (e.g. legal or justice).
- Assist women in development of a safety plan.
- Provide advocacy and accompaniment for residents, potential residents and ex-residents.
Intake of Residents:
- Screen potential residents according to admission criteria.
- Arrange arrival of residents to Transition House.
- Complete intake forms and case notes.
- Orient residents to Transition House and House guidelines.
Discharge of Residents:
- Complete discharge forms and case notes.
- Ensure safety plan has been reviewed.
- Offer on-going service (e.g. one-on-one counseling, support group if available, Outreach Program).
- Refer to appropriate ongoing Agency Services (eg. CWWA, Second Stage, Outreach, Addiction Services)
- Assist in arrangement of departure.
- Provide crisis intervention.
- Provide supportive counseling.
- Provide information and referrals.
- Maintain confidentiality according to Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Screen calls for appropriate referral, Program or individual.
- Document daily events at Transition House.
- Maintain statistical information, including Program concerns to be brought forth and reviewed
by all staff during staff meetings.
- Ensure all record keeping for admission/discharge is complete, including demographic information on card file.
- Maintain records and documents in regard to women using our services, including resident log, communication log, contact sheets, and client files.
- Maintain and up-date on non-admit list.
- Report daily output on each client which will be recorded in the client file
- Complete assigned administrative duties.
- Brief oncoming staff regarding daily issues for residents, concerns regarding safety and all other pertinent information.
Maintain Transition House Environment:
- Create and maintain a safe, warm and trusting environment.
- Engage in role modeling of life and social skills to the residents within a program setting.
- Provide mediation for residents in conflict.
- Facilitate weekly resident meetings or when required. Review rules, chores, provide a group program activity dependent on dynamics/interest of residents.
- Work cooperatively with other members of the Transition House team and
- Ensure the smooth operation of the common areas of the House and that resident rooms are ready for the next resident.
- Responsible to ensure that Transition House guideline are followed.
- Monitor and maintain security of the premises.
- Report to House Manager any pending concerns regarding safety or repairs.
Children and Parenting:
- Model non-violent and respectfully parenting approaches.
- Consult with House Manager any child protection concerns.
- Maintain professional boundaries within the H.A.T.S. Code of Ethics and philosophy both internally and externally.
- Abide by H.A.T.S. Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Exercise professional boundaries with residents, ex-residents, and other community agencies.
- Maintain current knowledge of family violence and related issues.
- Continue to upgrade skills through staff and professional development.
- Assist in orientation of new staff, training of volunteers and practicum students.
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings, staff workshops, and special events.
- Participate in the coordination of fund-raising events.
- Special projects as directed by the Executive Director or House Manager.
- Other related duties.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
- Support Care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- Class 5 Drivers License (Required)