615/E/19 DATE POSTED: November 13, 2019
LOUIS RIEL SCHOOL DIVISION BOARD OFFICE
As soon as can be arranged
Competitive Salary (Non-Union Position)
7 hours per day, 5 days per week, 12 months per year
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Coordinator will assist with initiating,
coordinating, executing and evaluating communications initiatives, both internal and external, related to the
Louis Riel School Division (LRSD). Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Communications planning – Contribute to the creation and implementation of an annual communications
plan designed to communicate LRSD’s broader organizational goals. The plan would identify messages,
target audiences, goals, the manner and frequency and the means to evaluate the effectiveness of any
- Internal communications – Contribute to the creation of digital, print, web-portal, and audio/visual content
related to the development and nurturing of a collaborative LRSD community culture. The content may
include e-newsletters, videos, PowerPoint presentations, sponsor recognition, special events and other
supports deemed necessary.
- External communications – Contribute to the creation of communication tactics and services for a single
audience, or a selection of audiences not employed by LRSD. These audiences may include students,
parents, members of the community at large, organizations such as MSBA and MASS and government
officials. The content may include print and audio/visual materials, e-newsletters, paid advertising,
PowerPoint presentations, special events and updating of LRSD’s website and social media content.
- Content Creation – Help identify, create and publish a variety of stories for the LRSD website and social
media channels that highlight division achievements and learner successes.
- Media relations – Help nurture a proactive working relationship with local media outlets to ensure LRSD is
the go-to source for information on issues related to public education in Winnipeg. Provide support to the
Communications Manager, Superintendent and Senior Administration Team in addressing media inquiries
and the development and maintenance of a local and national media contact database. May also provide
media relations advice and support to school administrators as required. Monitor and maintain a log of media
contacts for LRSD and schools.
- School Board – Provide support to the Chair and Vice-Chair on communications related initiatives.
- Crisis communications planning – Help with the creation and timely dissemination of various
communications deployed as the result of an unexpected, urgent situation in LRSD. Ensuring a plan for the
provision of information to all relevant audiences such as LRSD staff, members of the community and news
media is of paramount importance.
REQUIRED AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Other related duties – perform other associated functions within this classification as required.
Applicants require a diploma in Creative Communications or other recognized program in Public Relations or
Communications with a minimum of three years of work experience in a corporate setting. Story creation and
editing experience in both traditional and digital mediums is an essential skill set. Experience in creating
organic and paid content for a wide variety of social media platforms, as well as the ability to review analytics
and provide analysis, is required. Attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple projects under tight
timelines and deliver on deadlines are essential attributes. Demonstrated experience working with the news
media and public organizations is required. Knowledge of the public school system is considered an asset.
Please apply by using the LRSD online submission process at https://www.lrsd.net/Employment/Job-
Postings/Pages/default.aspx Upload your resume and cover letter including the names of three references, and address
to: Lisa Aitken, Assistant Superintendent, Louis Riel School Division
1:00 p.m., Thursday, November 21, 2019
IMPORTANT NOTES RELATING TO YOUR APPLICATION:
- Bulletin number must be quoted on each application; a separate application is required for each job Bulletin.
- Offer of employment with the Louis Riel School Division will be subject to the results of a Criminal Record Check (including
Vulnerable Sector Search) and a clear report from the Child Abuse Registry.
- We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.