Emcon Services is looking for a Road Superintendent position to be based in Golden, BC. This dynamic position is a key supervisory and management representative position. As an Excluded position reporting to the Operations Manager or designate.
The successful candidate will be directly responsible for maintenance of over 300 kilometers of Provincial highway in and around the Golden area. Examples of maintenance opportunities and challenges within the area include high traffic volumes, sensitive watercourse maintenance, vegetation maintenance and winter maintenance on the Trans Canada Highway, which typically has large snow pack and avalanche opportunities.
The Road Superintendent position requires close interaction with other supervisory personnel (Operations Manager, Bridge Superintendent, Quality Assurance Manager) and with Office Staff. In addition, the successful candidate will also be expected to develop and maintain positive working relationships with crewmembers and co-workers, Ministry personnel, emergency personnel, and a diverse group of stakeholders.
The RoadSuperintendent is responsible for the day-to-day supervision and direction of the workforce in the performance of road maintenance work. Responsible to ensure completion of the scheduled work programs is a safe, timely and efficient manner to meet or exceed the Ministry Specifications and in accordance with Emcon’s Quality Management System.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize, direct, supervise and control the work activities within the foreman area and ensure that staff, equipment and materials are available and deployed in a manner that achieves cost effectiveness and quality.
- Required to know and understand the Ministry Specifications and Emcon’s Quality Management System, as well as all company polices and procedures, and have the ability to communicate these to the workers and achieve compliance.
- Receives and investigates any requests or complaints from the stakeholders and takes necessary action to resolve them or, when appropriate, refer to the next level of management available or to outside agencies such as the RCMP, Fire Department, Municipal officials, Ministry of Transportation, etc.
- Responsible to ensure that all quantities of materials, supplies, man hours, equipment usage, etc. are measured correctly and reported correctly through the established methods.
- Responsible for day-to-day monitoring and reporting of sub-contractor work programs within the foreman area.
- Required to know and administer the Collective Agreement on a day-to-day basis, with assistance from staff when necessary, and to ensure that employees under his jurisdiction operate within the correct terms and conditions of employment.
- Supervises and directs a crew of equipment operators and labourers, monitors and reports productivity and performance (individual and group) and initiates appropriate action to correct any unsatisfactory performance or activity.
- Participates in planning and scheduling of work programs, staff and shift scheduling, job costing, estimating and budgets, analysis of work methods and goals.
- Required to know and administer all safety rules and regulations, to lead the Occupational Health and Safety Program at the crew level (Tool Box Meetings), and to show safety leadership by example.
- Provides training and orientation to new employees, as well as ongoing instruction and training to all employees to ensure that they know and follow correct (and safe) operating procedures.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: The following are desirable qualifications:
- Clean Drivers Abstract, Class 3 Drivers License with Air Endorsement preferred
- Grade 12 or equivalent preferred
- Strong computer skills
- Working knowledge of highway construction, maintenance and design
- Strong understanding on highway maintenance in general and British Columbia highway maintenance specifications
- Understanding of ISO Principals
- Previous supervisory experience in a unionized setting
- Demonstrated safety record and practices
- Strong leadership abilities
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills
- Effective communication skills with co-workers, supervisors, stakeholders and public
- Highly effective and demonstrated decision making process including ability to work well under pressure, timelines and in a variety of emergency and difficult conditions
This position is excluded from union membership and offers a competitive compensation package to the right candidate.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit resumes, accompanied by references to:
Emcon Services Inc.
Attn: C Francis, HR Manager
#105 - 1121 McFarlane Way,
Merritt, BC. V1K 1B8
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Emcon Services has the following conditions of employment: satisfactory drug pre-screening and Driver’s Abstract.
Job Type: Full-time