COMPANY PROFILE: Umicore Precious Metals Canada Inc. is a leading supplier of precious metals products, assaying and refining services in Canada and the USA. The company operates from its facilities in Markham, ON. Umicore, a certified member of the Responsible Jewellery Council, also has ISO 9001 (quality), ISO 14001 (environment) and OHSAS 18001 (health and safety) certifications.
Provides metallurgical expertise to other departments within Umicore.
Project leader for new product / process development and troubleshooting / investigation projects.
Participates in EHS and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Technical support to sales, customer service & customers: provide technically correct answers to questions concerning product performance and requirements as well regarding the scope of and issues of services provided
- Continuous improvement: provides technical / metallurgical support to all other departments by actively participating in and / or leading: customer complaint investigations; process improvement trials; EH&S committee follow up items; resolution of ISO audit actions (corrective / preventive action); product improvement trials; service improvement trials; document updates, as assigned * Provide technical/metallurgical support to all other departments by participating in complaint investigations, process and product improvement trials, corrective and preventive actions, EHS follow-ups, document updates and so on * Participate in projects regarding new alloy, product or service introductions and equipment commissioning as assigned * Prepare samples, conduct tests (metallography, metrology, mechanical properties etc.), and analyze data and present findings
- Position must follow all EH&S, IMS and Security rules, as well as company confidentiality guidelines at all times, both when on and away from the work site. * Maintain proper documentation and issue certificates of compliance or analysis * Other duties as assigned
- Completion of a three or four year college diploma (or equivalent) with knowledge of both chemical and physical metallurgy * Hands-on and results oriented * Attention to detail and good communication * Effective both when working in a team and independently
- Soft skills include diplomacy when discussing concerns with both internal and external customers and suppliers, and when presenting results / data / findings from assignments, as well as the ability to multi task.
- Good understanding of WHMIS, SDSs, etc.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision once an assignment is fully understood. * Direct shop experience or prior experience in a similar environment considered a strong asset * Successful completion of project management and H&S courses is an asset
Umicore is an equal opportunity employer. Only those under consideration will be contacted. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. We will work with applicants selected for the interview and assessment process to accommodate accessibility needs.
You can check out our profile on the 2019 edition of The Career Directory:
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time