This is a 12-month, full-time, term position which will begin approximately May 1, 2019, or earlier, depending on need and will end approximately May 2020 unless sooner rescinded.
Under the general direction of the Administrative Assistant to the Chief Superintendent and receiving day-to-day instructions from the Director, the secretary is responsible for providing secretarial assistance and organizational support in the development and implementation of a variety of specific programs and Division/Cluster initiatives.
This position requires an individual who can work independently, with minimal instruction and guidance. A team player, the secretary must be able to interact efficiently with a variety of professionals from within and outside of the department. A combination of good communication and organizational skills, along with the ability to multi-task within tight deadlines would be an asset to this position.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- providing secretarial support to the Director, which includes: preparing written materials of a confidential nature including memos, letters, performance appraisals, forms;
- maintaining information and generating reports as requested;
- answering telephone inquiries from school principals, school secretaries and the general public; taking messages and forwarding calls accordingly;
- arranging meetings and appointments; maintaining the calendar for the Director’s meetings;
- preparing and circulating agendas and minutes for divisional committees;
- providing secretarial support for division wide areas of responsibility to various programs within Newcomer Services, Community Liaison Services, English as an Additional Language, Nutrition, Parent Programs, Human Rights, Interpretation/Translation, and Summer Session, as well as various school projects and initiatives;
- distributing information, coordinating committee meetings, and creating and maintaining a number of databases to track projects/initiatives;
- maintaining budget information, tracking expenditures and preparing financial requests for payments;
- providing secretarial support for school group areas of responsibility that include school budgets, board items, student suspensions, serious incident reports, enrolment and staffing, student travel, truancy/attendance, department head allocations;
- processing requests to purchase curriculum support materials;
- other duties as assig
- Complete secondary education with three years of office experience and relevant course work/training;
- Accurate keyboarding of at least 45 wpm;
- Proficiency at an intermediate level in Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to prioritize a large workload with a variety of administrative duties;
- The ability to exercise a high degree of discretion are essential;
- Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task in an environment with multiple interruptions, time pressures and deadlines is required;
- The ability to work independently, with minimal instruction or guidance, and as part of a team;
- The ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment to react resourcefully under varying conditions;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to deal tactfully with Division staff and the public is required;
- Proficiency with Division based software and knowledge of Division policies, procedures and collective agreements would be an asset.
Interested individuals may apply online through www.winnipegsd.ca/careers including a résumé detailing education and experience, including references, on or before:
Friday, March 15, 2019 at 4:00 pm
First time users will be required to fill out a profile.
The Division has an Employment Equity policy, which strives towards a fair representation of women, Indigenous peoples, persons living with a disability and minorities at all levels within the Division.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $21.03 to $25.06 /hour
- Office: 3 years (Required)