The Interior Finishing Carpenter is responsible for the construction, erection, installation and repair of structures and components of portable buildings that are made of wood, wood-substitutes and other materials.
Based in our Calgary manufacturing plant, the regular shift for this position is Monday to Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. Hours of work and shift schedule may be modified subject to business requirements. Successful candidates must have flexibility to accommodate changes to work schedule.
This position is Safety Sensitive and will require Drug and Alcohol testing as a condition of employment.
The Interior Finishing Carpenter performs some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications.
- Determine specifications and calculate requirements.
- Start and complete jobs according to drawings and within the allotted time frame.
- Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join moldings, wood materials, drywall and plastic materials.
- Fit and install windows, doors, moldings and hardware.
- Understand all safety procedures of work place.
- These tasks require work with the following tools: sawsall, skill saw, chop saw, table saw, radial arm saw, drills, drill press and air tools.
- Cleans and stores tools and equipment and cleans work sites.
- Completes daily Job Hazards Assessments and Pre Job Task Hazard Analysis forms.
- Wears required Personal Protective Equipment at all times during work hours.
- Other duties as required.
Required Experience, Skills and Abilities:Journeyman:
- Instruct apprentices and carpenter’s helpers/laborers as required.
- Completion of the Carpenter Trade Certification from an accredited University or College.
- Minimum 3 years’ carpentry-related work experience on construction sites.
- Considered to have extensive knowledge of the carpentry trade.
- Knowledge of the carpentry trade is an asset.
- Able to operate all hand and power tools required to perform tasks specific to trade.
- Able to demonstrate organizational, time-management and decision-making skills.
- Able to manage a fluctuating workload and set priorities to meet deadlines.
- Able to work individually and as a team member able to safely and comfortably carry out physical duties
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to health/safety of self and co-workers.
- Perform heavy manual labour, including bending, stooping, reaching, carrying and lifting heavy objects weighing up to 45 lbs.
- Walks approximately 2-4 kilometers per day on a variety of surfaces including, concrete and gravel.
- Working at heights when required.
- Requires manual dexterity of both hands and feet to perform activities such as lifting overhead, twisting and bending while lifting, climbing ladders and stairs while wearing protective equipment, and working in confined spaces, including repetitive arm motion below, at, and above shoulder level.
- The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
No telephone calls please. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Horizon North provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified persons. We thank every applicant for their interest.